Why become a member? ×

Great Pub Songs

PURPOLARIS

We are normally a 4 piece band doing originals with a few covers thrown in but the other two guys can't always do gigs due to family commitments so myself and the lead singer/acoustic guitarist are looking at doing a pub act at weekends. The problem we have is deciding what covers to do so basically I'm looking for ideas of covers to do that generally go down well in pubs, bearing in mind that we'll be doing them acoustically. He's got a Calling/Creed/Stained sort of voice. Obviously we have a few of those songs in our artillary already and are now looking for a few more ideas.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='532547' date='Jul 4 2009, 05:59 PM']We are normally a 4 piece band doing originals with a few covers thrown in but the other two guys can't always do gigs due to family commitments so myself and the lead singer/acoustic guitarist are looking at doing a pub act at weekends. The problem we have is deciding what covers to do so basically I'm looking for ideas of covers to do that generally go down well in pubs, bearing in mind that we'll be doing them acoustically. He's got a Calling/Creed/Stained sort of voice. Obviously we have a few of those songs in our artillary already and are now looking for a few more ideas.[/quote]

I think this song has already been mentioned somewere on Basschat but again Place your hands by Reef gets people going. i suppose it could be done acoustically.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='532559' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:28 PM']I think this song has already been mentioned somewere on Basschat but again Place your hands by Reef gets people going. i suppose it could be done acoustically.[/quote]

I agree, cool song, that's one we've discussed before. I'll add that onto the list.

1. Place Your Hands - Reef

Depends on the pub, really.

We had a HUGE unexpected success in a tough tough tough East End pub full of Grant Mitchell wannabees ... we played [i]I Won't Back Down [/i]by Tom Petty. They loved it. :)

You don't mention your own voice - do you sing? If so, can you harmonise?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='532589' date='Jul 4 2009, 07:35 PM']Depends on the pub, really.

We had a HUGE unexpected success in a tough tough tough East End pub full of Grant Mitchell wannabees ... we played [i]I Won't Back Down [/i]by Tom Petty. They loved it. :)

You don't mention your own voice - do you sing? If so, can you harmonise?[/quote]

I can sing - ish but not great at harmonising and especially while playing at the same time. I'll be mainly backing vocals on chorus's etc. I can see how Won't Back Down would go down well, another good song.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='532563' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:46 PM']I agree, cool song, that's one we've discussed before. I'll add that onto the list.

1. Place Your Hands - Reef[/quote]

I've added a few of the songs that we do, just looking for more ideas.

Wherever you will go - The Calling
Come Together - Beatles
With or without you - U2
Dream catch me - Newton Faulkner
Creep - Radiohead
Use Somebody - KOL
I'm a believer - Monkees
It's been a while - Staind
Outside - Staind
Run / Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Let Me Entertain you - Robbie
Satisfaction - Stones
You always take the weather with you - Crowded House
Come on Eileen -Dexy's
Sit Down - James

I don't think playing acoustically should limit your scope so try the big floor flillers from here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=8685&view=findpost&p=90010"]Guarenteed Dancefloor Fillers thread[/url]

I used to play in a duo and we did River Deep Mountain High and Da Do Ron Ron with a kind of "picket fence of sound" effect replacing Phil Spector's production :)

We also used to do Summertime blues, Somthing Else, Billie Jean (try the Chris Cornell version)
Also try I fought the law, Should I stay or Should I go, Pretty vacant ...
Have a browse through youtube searching for "acoustic cover" and see what comes up

Some that we do that seem to get them going particularly well....

Almost anything by Oasis
Almost anything by Greenday (even though I hate them!)
Almost anything by U2
Almost anything by Stereophonics
Radiohead - Creep
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Some Pink Floyd stuff in the right places
Kaiser Chiefs - I predict a riot

We do acoustic pub nights in our local(s), 2 Acoustic guitars, minimal drum kit, tiny bass amp and 3 vocals ( 1 female ).

A few of our favourites...

Come up and see me - Cockney Rebel
Crosby, Stills & Nash Love the one you’re with
REM Losing my religion ( with mandolin ) & End of the World...
Stereophonics Maybe Tomorrow & Dakota
U2 With or Without You & I Still haven't found...
Rhiana Umbrella
Super Tramp Give a little bit
Elbow One Day Like This
Dobie Gray Give me the beat boys
Guns and Roses Sweet Child of Mine
James Sit Down
Razorlight America
The Zutons Valerie
Phantom Planet California
Snow Patrol Run / Chasing Cars / Open your Eyes
Kings of Leon Use Somebody