Why become a member? ×

Recording rehearsals

NancyJohnson

This has probably come up a ton of times before...

I need a [b]stereo [/b]digital recorder [reasonably priced, simple to use, proven track-record] that I can just put into the middle of our rehearsal room and record jams for reference purposes. Simple. I need it to take a couple of microphones and have the ability to transfer tracks (in RAW/MP3/whatever file format) to a PC via USB. Just want it in stereo, no need to track lay or anything (we have a studio next door for that). We play pretty loud, so adjustable recording levels are a necessity.

Don't need anything with all the bells and whistles...tuners, built in drum machines etc.

I'd be grateful for a heads up.

It used to be so easy when I was a kid when the cassette was king!

P

I actually use my digital camera, a Fuji S9500 (bridge/SLR), with excellent results. I record the rehearsals as a video and then pull the audio track off with mediacoder. You might like to try experimenting with digital camera's video/audio recording functions, it can work amazingly well! More modern minidisc players transfer via USB, otherwise look at the various stereo MP3 recorders by Zoom, M-Audio, etc.

Alex

In response to a PM about this thread here is an example of a song recorded recently at the Boom Boom Club in Sutton when we opened for Stan Webb's Chicken Shack. It was recorded using the Zoom H4 with its built-in mics on a camera tripod pointing at the stage about halfway back next to the PA engineer on the left side. I'm playing the NS CR5M upright through my bassamp, two guitarists with amps and the drummer was not miked up. Only the vox went through the PA.

Normally I'd run this through some mastering processors before distributing it but here it is unmastered as an example of the H4's raw sound quality. It was recorded on the H4 as a CD quality WAV and converted to MP3 just to shrink the file size.

Our version of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl:
[url="http://www.o5b.co.uk/mp3/o5b-cinnamongirl.mp3"]obviously 5 believers - Cinnamon Girl[/url]

I got rid of all my DATs. ADATs, a long time ago and my last Nakamichi couldn't be used anymore when Nakamichi stopped producing replacement tapeheads.....Looked around the house, and found that I actually still have a 'tape' recorder:

I use a Sony VHS video recorder, the sort that would record hi quality audio if you find the ones that would print audio on separate tracks to the video. as opposed to the type that would print audio and video simultaneously. You could also use those..... I'm sure you can pick one up cheap as no one wants VHS anymore...

It 's effectively a 2 channel ADAT. It might seem cumbersome but you can let it run for 3 hours.......about one full rehearsal on one VHS....then you take it home and bounce/edit it digitally if you need to.

Mine has standard RCA ins and outs. You can set up stereo mics via a little preamp and feed it, or take a feed off your desk. I use a small behringer mixer and run 2 or 3 mics if I reherase a trio or quartet, or run a feed off the desk if we are using a desk at rehearsal and there are more players/audio sources.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='56299' date='Sep 6 2007, 12:43 AM']In response to a PM about this thread here is an example of a song recorded recently at the Boom Boom Club in Sutton when we opened for Stan Webb's Chicken Shack. It was recorded using the Zoom H4 with its built-in mics on a camera tripod pointing at the stage about halfway back next to the PA engineer on the left side. I'm playing the NS CR5M upright through my bassamp, two guitarists with amps and the drummer was not miked up. Only the vox went through the PA.

Normally I'd run this through some mastering processors before distributing it but here it is unmastered as an example of the H4's raw sound quality. It was recorded on the H4 as a CD quality WAV and converted to MP3 just to shrink the file size.

Our version of Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl:
[url="http://www.o5b.co.uk/mp3/o5b-cinnamongirl.mp3"]obviously 5 believers - Cinnamon Girl[/url][/quote]

Obviously 5 belivers! I've caught your band a few times (including that jam with a digeridoo player on Whole Lotta Love - classic :) ) Hats off to you sir. Very impressive.

[quote name='Musky' post='57017' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:59 PM']Obviously 5 belivers! I've caught your band a few times (including that jam with a digeridoo player on Whole Lotta Love - classic :) ) Hats off to you sir. Very impressive.[/quote]

Well, Thank you very much, not sure I remember that one. We must have been there with my mate Sandy - He's played didj with Rolf Harris as well as with Plant & Page, but he sometimes has trouble playing in different keys for some reason. :huh:

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='57093' date='Sep 7 2007, 04:58 PM']Well, Thank you very much, not sure I remember that one. We must have been there with my mate Sandy - He's played didj with Rolf Harris as well as with Plant & Page, but he sometimes has trouble playing in different keys for some reason. :)[/quote]

Thinking about it, that night was a jam night rather than a O5B gig - I think your guitarist was missing. I love your regular set though, so different to most other covers bands. Any gigs coming up? Just took a look at your website and there weren't any listed.

[quote name='Musky' post='57330' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:59 AM']Thinking about it, that night was a jam night rather than a O5B gig - I think your guitarist was missing. I love your regular set though, so different to most other covers bands. Any gigs coming up? Just took a look at your website and there weren't any listed.[/quote]
Oh yes, It must have been one of Robin's jams at the Windsor, so it would have probably been the o5b rhythm section of myself & Mark with Sandy and a few other jammers I think I may have been playing the Dean pace upright that night.

The whole band be at the Grove Tavern oposite South Wimbledon tube next Sunday 16th Sept for a charity fundraiser they're hosting. I'm not sure what time we're on, but there will probably be a several bands running all afternoon & evening. I'll put it on the o5b web site & myspace when find out the running order.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='55809' date='Sep 5 2007, 11:40 AM']I wouldn't use anything but the trusty zoom H4. Set it on a camera tripod and press the big button. Then connect to a PC via USB and drag the wav file across for editing. Nothing could be easier, well nothing I've found. The sound quality is good enough for a live demo CD.[/quote]

+1 - I use mine loads - it's so easy and so versatile.

The zoom H2 arrived here last week - I've yet to try it with a band but initial tests suggests that it does just what it's supposed to - high quality recordings and easy to use. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the 3d - 4 channel channel recording wihch looks to be really simple- just add press the button to add the rear mic's (should be good for getting some crowd noise at live recordings).

If you don't want to add external mics vai xlr then the h2 is perfect for quick and easy recordings.

Cheers
John

I've had my H2 for a few days now... It's a fantastic piece of kit!

Again,I haven't had the chance use it to record a full band with drums, although I can say that I was amazed at the quality when recording in the middle of a roomful of acoustic players/singers with the Zoom set to 4ch recording.

I have a small acoustic type gig coming up midweek, although I think I'll plug it straight into the desk to get the set recorded. I should mention that it makes a great vocal mic and can be used as an usb audio interface too. I will see how it gets on with recording some bass/guitar/vocals into Acid 6 on my PC today....

• 10 months later...

Bit late to reply, but I've been using minidisc for years with no problems. The only thing is that mine is an old one (Sony MZ-R30) so recording off to PC has to be done manually (i.e. no USB).

Check out how much you can get a NetMD or HiMD player for on ebay (make sure it's got a mic input - some of them haven't).

John