Why become a member? ×

Guild dearmond starfire bass

hookys6stringbass

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='526583' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:17 AM']Wow ... didn't take you very long to figure out you didn't like it :) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120435149737"]LINK[/url][/quote]

I know!!! I put it though it's paces and it sounds the dog dangles - but I just can't get on with the short scale! I'm tempted to keep it just to look at it, it's lovely, but seriously I know i'm not going to play it- damn it

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to what's going on with the sale of this bass on ebay...

There are two Dearmond Starfire basses which look the same (one has the pickguard taken off). The write up is very similar but the user ID is different. One is based in Rickmansworth, one in Bucks. They end within an hour of each other...

Also your listing is the same as the previous sellers.... The completed listing for the sale of this bass was on 25th June.... looks like you had it for 3 days?

What's the score?

Steve

Edited by funkmunky

[quote name='funkmunky' post='527036' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:31 PM']Hi,

There are two Dearmond Starfire basses which look the same (one has the pickguard taken off). The write up is very similar but the user ID is different. One is based in Rickmansworth, one in Bucks. They end within an hour of each other...

Also your listing is the same as the previous sellers.... The completed listing for the sale of this bass was on 25th June.... looks like you had it for 3 days?

What's the score?

Steve[/quote]

I was also wondering about this. I'm a potential buyer, that is sorely tempted right now. If the bank decides to add fund to my account, from a maturing bond, in there next week... then i'll not be hanging about!

[quote name='funkmunky' post='527036' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:31 PM']Hi,

What's the score?

Steve[/quote]

Don't know about the one in Bucks (i'll look) as for my listing yep it's the same as the previous sellers as I thought I couldn't add any more than he had as it was spot on. Yes I've had it for 3 days - but as I said in a previous post- I couldn't get on with the short scale, so nothing sinister. I just realised litaraly within half an hour of getting home with it that I'd made a mistake. i'm bloody gutted as it is a fantastic bass.....

[quote name='funkmunky' post='527036' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:31 PM']There are two Dearmond Starfire basses which look the same (one has the pickguard taken off). The write up is very similar but the user ID is different. One is based in Rickmansworth, one in Bucks. They end within an hour of each other...[/quote]
That's strange isn't it ? Not only does the bucks advert selectively copy the text from the original one (or the ricky one), both sellers appear to have found an accoustic guitar case and added foam to the bottom.

Also, ironically, both basses made in May 99 (cough).

Obviously 2 different basses (the bucks one lacks the customised pickups and added pickguard) ... looks like the Bucks lister got lazy.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

The listing(s) say: "One of the shortcomings of this guitar (as it was with the original Guild) was the rather weedy DeArmond Gold pickups used. Sad that Guild did not take the opportunity to upgrade the pickups when they re-issued it. However, an American company called Hammon Engineering came to the rescue by designing and making some awesome Humbucking pickups as a direct replacement for the DeArmond Gold pickups."

This is not quite correct - as I'm sure many know. The original Guild Starfire had Hagstrom Bisonic single coil pickups which were replaced around 1971 by the goldtone humbuckers. Both the De Armond and Guild reissues had the humbuckers. The Hammon Dark Star is a re-engineered version of the original Hagstrom Bisonic single coil pickup.

• 2 weeks later...