Why become a member? ×

Cheap Palatino

steviedee

Hi Folks picked up a very cheap palatino EUB, which I'm basically gonna use for wee jams in my lunch hour in work....

First impressions are: It's a bit sh*t, it sounds very thin, the action is high, it doesn't sound like an upright, however, it's perfect for what I need it for and it was very cheap.

In saying that I wouldn't mind making some improvements, the caveat being I don't want to spend too much money, I know there are loads of mods and improvements :

Can anyone recommend cheap strings (would they make it a bit beefier)?
Can anyone recommend a cheap bridge (could I fit it would it sort the action)
Any other cheap upgrades appreciated!

Cheers

Stevie

[quote name='steviedee' post='524129' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:17 PM']Hi Folks picked up a very cheap palatino EUB, which I'm basically gonna use for wee jams in my lunch hour in work....

First impressions are: It's a bit sh*t, it sounds very thin, the action is high, it doesn't sound like an upright, however, it's perfect for what I need it for and it was very cheap.

In saying that I wouldn't mind making some improvements, the caveat being I don't want to spend too much money, I know there are loads of mods and improvements :

Can anyone recommend cheap strings (would they make it a bit beefier)?
Can anyone recommend a cheap bridge (could I fit it would it sort the action)
Any other cheap upgrades appreciated!

Cheers

Stevie[/quote]
There's about fifty pages of upgrade advice and comment on Talkbass here -
The palatino megathread [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221493"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221493[/url]

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='524542' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:19 AM']Gear4music do cheap strings for about £20, i'l be sticking some on my stagg next week so I'll let you know how I get on with them[/quote]

Oh That will be interesting.. I was not looking forward to paying out for strings ...

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='524542' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:19 AM']Gear4music do cheap strings for about £20, i'l be sticking some on my stagg next week so I'll let you know how I get on with them[/quote]

Great cheers I don't want any mods to start costing too much....

[quote name='steviedee' post='524554' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:34 AM']Great cheers I don't want any mods to start costing too much....[/quote]

Here's the link
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Double-Bass-String-Set-3-4-size-by-G4M/81N"]Cheap 3/4 double bass strings[/url]

Unfortunatley chaps, you gets what you pays for. Cheap strings (especially THAT cheap) probably aren't going to do a lot for your sound.

As with yer electric bass, string choice is a major part of your sound and good sounding strings cost money.

As a general rule of thumb, steel core strings (eg, spirocores) are brighter and have more sustain than gut or synthetic core (eg, Obligatos or Velvets). So if you're a jazzer, go steel core, if you're playing a lot of arco or want low down thump for bluegrass or rockabilly go synthetic.

However, this changes a bit when it comes to EUB. The naturally brighter response and greater sustain of yer typical stick bass means that if you want to get that typical jazz pizz sound then you ned to choose a string that's a step darker that you would typically use on a proper DB.

So, if you want the typical jazz sound (usually Thomastik spirocores or similar) then avoid pizz strings and go for hybrids or orchestrals (e.g D'addario helicore hybrids) or use something with a synthetic core like Obigatos to get a really warm organic sound.

I changed the stock steel core string on my Aria Lite to Helicore hybrids and they made a huge difference. The sound was smoother, the response more even and the tension was lower making the bass much easier to play.

A decent set of 'cheap' double bass strings will cost you about £100, which is a lot compared to electric bass srtings but as you'll only change them once a year or so, they kinda work out the same (unless you're from the James Jamerson school of string changing).

Assuming you want to get a more double bass sound from your electric upright, I'd suggest Helicore Hybrids or Orchestrals, Pirastro Oblicatos or Corelli 370 (a particular favourite over on TB at the moment). Any of these will cost under £130 per set and will sound great. If you really want to splash out, get a set of Velvet Aminas or Compass - yes they're about £260 per set but they sound fecking amazing on electric uprights.

Dave

Edited by TheRev

[quote name='steviedee' post='524515' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:45 AM']I know I saw it I was just too lazy to read it :)[/quote]

Apparently the easiest and most effective modification is to remove the bridge, cut a piece of bicycle inner tube to the size of the channel the pickup lies in and lay it underneath the pickup so it lies between the pickup and the bass body. It takes away a lot of the brightness and brittleness of the Palatino's sound.

[quote name='TheRev' post='524743' date='Jun 26 2009, 11:54 AM']Apparently the easiest and most effective modification is to remove the bridge, cut a piece of bicycle inner tube to the size of the channel the pickup lies in and lay it underneath the pickup so it lies between the pickup and the bass body. It takes away a lot of the brightness and brittleness of the Palatino's sound.[/quote]

Yeah the bloke did that you know its quite a nice looking thing really...

[quote name='steviedee' post='524759' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:07 PM']Yeah the bloke did that you know its quite a nice looking thing really...[/quote]

Yeah, of the cheapies it's the nicest looking one. I was tempted myself but the length of the modding thread on TB just put me off.

I heard that the D'addario preludes are quite good for a student budget string, although I've never tried them. They're £72.42 for a set at the string zone.

[url="http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/d-addario-prelude-double-bass-strings-set"]http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/d-addario-p...ass-strings-set[/url]