Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle - An Ox's Tale

acidbass

Have watched this...Must recommend it to anyone.
He was a bassist pushing the boundries in a time when there was no one doing that.
He had no inspiration of bassists past as they didn't do much interesting and had to go it alone.
I feed of inspiration...I dunno how he managed it alone!

[quote name='Kongo' post='524995' date='Jun 26 2009, 04:45 PM']Have watched this...Must recommend it to anyone.
He was a bassist pushing the boundries in a time when there was no one doing that.
He had no inspiration of bassists past as they didn't do much interesting and had to go it alone.
I feed of inspiration...I dunno how he managed it alone![/quote]

I'm hearing the word "genius" bandied about in certain threads today.. the above really is genius. He was a fantastic bass player and an inspiration to many (including myself).

I've Sky-plussed this so I'll watch this over the weekend. Was the documentary about the Who any good that was on afterwards?

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='525241' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:53 PM']I've Sky-plussed this so I'll watch this over the weekend. Was the documentary about the Who any good that was on afterwards?[/quote]
The Kids Are Alright - as a documentary it's terrible. But as a collection of concert footage etc. it's amazing.

Beyond the music, I didn't know much about John or what kind of guy he was. I think I would have liked him.

[quote name='Eight' post='525263' date='Jun 26 2009, 08:09 PM']The Kids Are Alright - as a documentary it's terrible. But as a collection of concert footage etc. it's amazing.

Beyond the music, I didn't know much about John or what kind of guy he was. I think I would have liked him.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I've got a VHS copy of The Kids Are Alright somewhere. First interested PM can have it. So far I've owned the original album, the CD, the video and the remastered DVD.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='525757' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:16 AM']Watched an Ox's Tale last night. Very good indeed. One thing that was glaring though was the abscence of any input from Roger Daltrey. Wonder what that was all about?[/quote]
Maybe he was off making Vampirella at that point?

But good call - I didn't notice that.

JE Came cout with the classic about Roget Daltrey telling him to turn down constantly. So he said he used to turn down and after a couple of songs turn it back to the original volume and Daltrey never noticed the difference. Does that sound familiar ?

I laughed at the bit where he said he'd had enough and threw down his bass ($3,000 Alembic Explorer) and said "You play the f***ing thing then!" and walked off stage. LOL!

Yeah I enjoyed that bit too.

There's another thread knocking around at the minute, about whether the guys pushing the boundaries of bass are wasting their time if normal bass players can't incorporate that stuff into their playing in the real world. Maybe it takes an attitude like Ox to stand up say to a band "F'off this is how I'm going to play the bass"...

Although aside from Daltrey not being able to hear himself, The Who seemed to understand that a loud, prominent, dynamic bass line was part of their sound.

[quote name='Eight' post='525772' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:27 AM']Yeah I enjoyed that bit too.

There's another thread knocking around at the minute, about whether the guys pushing the boundaries of bass are wasting their time if normal bass players can't incorporate that stuff into their playing in the real world. Maybe it takes an attitude like Ox to stand up say to a band "F'off this is how I'm going to play the bass"...

Although aside from Daltrey not being able to hear himself, The Who seemed to understand that a loud, prominent, dynamic bass line was part of their sound.[/quote]

Wise words indeed. Was very interesting how Keith Moon's death affected Entwistle's playing with Townsend saying that he went back to playing like a "normal" bass player (like Pino Pallidino).

Also an early shredder too. Some of his lines were stupid fast, and he'd use 3 fingers too...And also used a basic form of what we called today "2 handed tapping" but in our modern piano style.
And to top it off, he was a mega tone freak and also had the worst case of GAS I've ever seen!
His pad was wall to wall with guitars, basses....AND AMPS!!! :)

I got the John Entwistle Collection hardback...It's a book with most of his collection in there from Fenders, Gibsons...right down to some oddball names.
Check it out.

[quote name='Kongo' post='526704' date='Jun 28 2009, 01:52 PM']Also an early shredder too. Some of his lines were stupid fast, and he'd use 3 fingers too...[/quote]
I'm sure I saw in one clip he was playing with four. Stood there rock solid (almost like he was asleep) but with all the plucking fingers going and a left hand leaving scorch marks across the fretboard.

[quote name='Eight' post='526735' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:30 PM']I'm sure I saw in one clip he was playing with four. Stood there rock solid (almost like he was asleep) but with all the plucking fingers going and a left hand leaving scorch marks across the fretboard.[/quote]

Looks that way but no. Your little finger will always move with the ring finger.
In order to use 4 fingers your hand would have to limp over so it can reach.