Why become a member? ×

CIJ Fender Owners

dirtystatic

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='54936' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:16 PM']I'm after a CIJ P-bass, I've checked out what's on offer at ishibashi but I'm a bit baffled as to what the differences between the various models are... If the model number is follwd by a 'US' does it basically mean it's made with the same materials and components as the MIA Fenders?[/quote]

the models with US after the names are higher spec, better hardware and a little more faithful to the originals, with reference to the type of hardware used. They also feature 'US' pups, but I think they are still Jap ones that are a US design? They certainly sound better than the non 'US' types. Though I'd probably drop a quaterpounder or a Dimarzio in my CIJ at some point.

I think you'll find the US models have a better body wood choice too. - Get the US model, it'll be worth it with the amount you are saving thru Ishi. You only have to see the amount of threads on this board to know they are a great source of Fender kit! ;o)

I can only speak from a non-importing perspective as I've got the CIJ Geddy Lee jazz, but having owned a couple of Fenders before & played many, many more, I can definitely say the Japanese make the best ones by far. Quality, fit & finish is arguably better than the USA models, which feel a little, erm, unfinished to me in certian cases.

Yes, the US marked models have genuine USA parts :)

Ive yet to heard a bad word about the CIJs, there's a local player who has a jazz but its the japanese entry level, the output seemed a little week - hell of a volume drop from a passive yamaha bb414, but in my opinion it still played better than the MIMs I've played.

But I'll be sure to go for one the the US (more than likely the PB62 or 70) - better spec and the stock colours are alot more tasty, I'll probably badass it and throw on a hipstop D tuner too.

[quote name='lwtait' post='55025' date='Sep 3 2007, 11:01 PM']is there any difference between MIJ and CIJ? because for an MIJ +1 for guitaremporium.co.uk[/quote]

No, it's the same thing. The newer ones are marked "Crafted in Japan" whereas older ones come with, "Made in Japan", it's just marketing BS and no real difference.

i bought a ' 57 reissue off a guy trading under the name far east guitars, (stick it in google )
from my research before that there are a number of ranges
standard: the cheap ones, jap pups, basswood bodies,
reissues: reissue speck, jap pups, basswood bodies
'US' reissues: ash/alder bodies, US pups
make sure you know what you are getting.

look at the pics on the japanese version of the Ishibashi website
[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/bs-index.htm"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/...-j/bs-index.htm[/url]
they used to have a section selling what seemed to be the japanese custom shop type special edittions but i cant find where thats gone

[quote name='nash' post='54998' date='Sep 3 2007, 10:19 PM']i have an 86/87 mij p with badd ass 2 and sd bassline qp in it. its the best fender i've had.

if i was you i'd go for an 80's one.[/quote]

I've just ordered Some SD Quater Pound pickups & a Badass II bridge for my MIJ P-bass 1962 all for the tidy sum of £70.

now all i need is to find out how to set up my basses cause the action is well off.