Why become a member? ×

The Bad Plus

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hey all

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to see Charlie Haden on the Southbank on Saturday and was of coure completley blown away but the support band "The Bad Plus" were incredible, I hadnt heard of them before but am now ordering thier entire back catologue, they are an American trio with Double bass, Piano and drums, they sound kind of like "Jazz on steroids" and they do a killer version of Iron man by Black Sabbath as well as really cool original tunes, I havent been this excited by a band since I was a teenager and that was a very long time a go !

Anyway enough ranting, just thought I'd spread the good word :)

[url="http://www.thebadplus.com/"]The Bad Plus[/url]

Edited by subaudio

these guys are great live but their albums can be a bit hit and miss, the ones to check out are Give and Suspicious Activity, but their more recent one Prog had a great tune on it called 'Giant' have a listen [url="http://www.imeem.com/jazzfrisson/music/1fKLzyVi/the-bad-plus-giant/"]here[/url]

And I also interviewed them a couple of years ago, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_TGA4J_r4&feature=channel_page"]have a look here[/url].

Mike

Guest subaudio

[quote name='urb' post='522956' date='Jun 24 2009, 08:53 PM']these guys are great live but their albums can be a bit hit and miss, the ones to check out are Give and Suspicious Activity, but their more recent one Prog had a great tune on it called 'Giant' have a listen [url="http://www.imeem.com/jazzfrisson/music/1fKLzyVi/the-bad-plus-giant/"]here[/url]

And I also interviewed them a couple of years ago, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_TGA4J_r4&feature=channel_page"]have a look here[/url].

Mike[/quote]

Ah, Giant is my favourite so far, it was incredible live, they sounded much different live too, more of a traditional Jazz sound than the modern almost indie production on the albums but still the same incredible music, I like both though.

So far I have Prog and Give, am ordering more on Friday

I'm just off to read the interview Urb, cheers :)

Hi
I have recently discovered The Bad Plus as well and agree with the comments thus far, I have a dvd version of a Paris concert from 2003 which is very good, (there's a version of Abba's Knowing me, knowing you which is very good and the pianist decides two hands are not hitting enough keys and wades in with his head).
Another recent release is the second volume of the king crimson songbook by the Crimson Jazz Trio which along with the first vol released about two years ago totally blew me away, great recordings and fantastic playing by Jody Nardone on piano, Tim landers on bass and the late great Ian Wallace on drums.
Regards
Jim

Guest subaudio

[quote name='jimbaby' post='523249' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:30 AM']Hi
I have recently discovered The Bad Plus as well and agree with the comments thus far, I have a dvd version of a Paris concert from 2003 which is very good, (there's a version of Abba's Knowing me, knowing you which is very good and the pianist decides two hands are not hitting enough keys and wades in with his head).
Another recent release is the second volume of the king crimson songbook by the Crimson Jazz Trio which along with the first vol released about two years ago totally blew me away, great recordings and fantastic playing by Jody Nardone on piano, Tim landers on bass and the late great Ian Wallace on drums.
Regards
Jim[/quote]

Cool

Could I ask where you got the DVD from I cant find any so far.

Cheers
Marti

Hi Marti
I got the DVD from a friend who probably downloaded it from an unmentionable source, I googled it and its there from various sources for download but you may have to be a member of these to obtain it.
Sorry I can't see how to private message you but if you can contact me I will try to help.
Regards
Jim

I dig the Bad Plus, their version of Smells like Teen spirit is awesome....with notes/chords on the edge of wrongness makes it perfectly right-they were on Jools Holland a couple of years ago if i remember rightly. Anyone heard of Backdoor?

Hi Rasta
Have been listening to Back Door for many a year, an unusual trio of bass drums and sax, unfortunately Ron Aspery the sax player passed away a couple of years or so ago.
In my opinion the playing was superb especially in the bass department from the wonderful Colin Hodgekinson who I've been lucky enough to catch live twice, once with Alexis Korner and the other with the Jan Hammer band.
Back door have left a legacy of a few albums
Back Door (1972)
8th Street Nites (1974)
Another Fine Mess (1975)
Activate (1976)
The Human Bed (2002)
Askin' The Way (2003
which are all worth checking out.
Regards
Jim

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Rasta' post='526889' date='Jun 28 2009, 06:19 PM']I dig the Bad Plus, their version of Smells like Teen spirit is awesome....with notes/chords on the edge of wrongness makes it perfectly right-they were on Jools Holland a couple of years ago if i remember rightly. Anyone heard of Backdoor?[/quote]

Cool, just listend to some Backdoor bits on Amazon, good stuff.