Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman and Cab

BarnacleBob

Currently mulling over the purchase of a vintage Fender P but in the meantime have seen a stack (see attached pic) like this for sub £500 and thought that would go well with the Precision (when i find one i can afford)
I think they made these til quite recently(?)
Apart from testing it for the sound what should i be looking for to make sure I'm not buying a dog/paying over the odds for it
Would i be better going for the reissue tweed cover 4x10 Bassman combo. or an original if affordable and available?
Only ever bought new amps up til now.

BB

Added a pic of actual one for sale

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='522758' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:32 PM']should i be looking for to make sure I'm not buying a dog/paying over the odds for it
Would i be better going for the reissue tweed cover 4x10 Bassman combo. or an original if affordable and available?
Only ever bought new amps up til now.

BB[/quote]
Not a bad amp, if you've got efficient enough speakers to work with only 100w. The Fender speaker, however,is absolute trash. The pictured model looks to be early 1970s. I don't know if they did a reissue, or if they did, why. It was a 2nd tier rig 35 years ago compared to an Ampeg V4, let alone an SVT.
The Bassman 4x10 is a great guitar amp, useless for bass outside the studio. A pristine '59 is probably worth more than what you're driving, but only to a guitar player/collector.

Cheers, mate, i had heard that about the 4x10 combos and I figure the originals are silly money anyway.
Its just for in a little private studio anyway and for completeness with the Precision when i find one.

I have been thinking about which bass guitar/amp combination were typical of different eras

50/60s fender bass + fender amp or ampeg
70s still the precision probably but HiWatt or Orange?
80s Status/Trace Eliott?

anyone more suggestions for a 'typical' set up for a particular time?

BB

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='522859' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:25 PM']Not a bad amp, if you've got efficient enough speakers to work with only 100w. The Fender speaker, however,is absolute trash. The pictured model looks to be early 1970s. I don't know if they did a reissue, or if they did, why. It was a 2nd tier rig 35 years ago compared to an Ampeg V4, let alone an SVT.
The Bassman 4x10 is a great guitar amp, useless for bass outside the studio. A pristine '59 is probably worth more than what you're driving, but only to a guitar player/collector.[/quote]

I have a Bassman 100 I originally bought in about '87, but it only came back to me again this year. It's plenty loud enough for most pub gigs and practice, and at the moment the Hartke is sitting on it's side next to the amp rig, silent. I'd buy another or a 135 if I could find one. Enough said?

If you're getting the 4x12 as well, I think it's a decent buy. you can always swap out the speakers for more efficient modern ones.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='523016' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:01 PM']Cheers, mate, i had heard that about the 4x10 combos and I figure the originals are silly money anyway.
Its just for in a little private studio anyway and for completeness with the Precision when i find one.

I have been thinking about which bass guitar/amp combination were typical of different eras

80s Status/Trace Eliott?

BB[/quote]
I always think of Musicman Stingrays and Arias or Ibanez when it comes to 80s basses.

[quote name='clauster' post='523345' date='Jun 25 2009, 10:00 AM']I always think of Musicman Stingrays and Arias or Ibanez when it comes to 80s basses.[/quote]

Loved the SB basses - had an SBR60 til recently - I think u saw more Arias then MMs.
I think the most common pro amp would have been the Trace then but that didnt appear til mid late 80s I think

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='522859' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:25 PM']Not a bad amp, if you've got efficient enough speakers to work with only 100w. The Fender speaker, however,is absolute trash. The pictured model looks to be early 1970s. I don't know if they did a reissue, or if they did, why. It was a 2nd tier rig 35 years ago compared to an Ampeg V4, let alone an SVT.
The Bassman 4x10 is a great guitar amp, useless for bass outside the studio. A pristine '59 is probably worth more than what you're driving, but only to a guitar player/collector.[/quote]
+1
The 135 has quite a bit more grunt than the 100, but both such simple designs they can be maintained pretty much forever, and sound great through a decent cab - bigger the better. Part of the appeal of a vintage stack is having it matching though - I used to run my 135 through an old H/H 2x15, covered the grill with proper silvercloth and stuck a Fender logo on. There was somone selling an EV-loaded silverface Fender cab on here recently that would be really sweet.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='523016' date='Jun 24 2009, 10:01 PM']Cheers, mate, i had heard that about the 4x10 combos and I figure the originals are silly money anyway.

80s Status/Trace Eliott?

BB[/quote]

My late 70s 'rig'

HH Bass VS100
18" cab of dubious origin
Shergold Marathon

Tres punk rock.