Why become a member? ×

FT/FS - Status Graphite Matrix Series I *SOLD*

Chris2112

Well, shall we say that my interest in picking up a Warwick Thumb has been decidedly tickled, so I thought I might put this bass up for trade. It's my main bass at the moment, and has been since last year, so I'm not taking this decision lightly, but for the right bass I could be moved to trade it on to a new owner!

It's an early 90's Status Matrix bass. It's made of American Walnut with a woven graphite thru-neck and it has a 2 band EQ with Status Hyperactive (or was it Hi Res?) jazz pickups. The hardware is made of brass and the tuners are Status brand. The pictures can describe the bass better than I can, and being a Status, it was built in England in the Status shop. It's in fantastic condition for a bass thats nearly 20 years old. The electronics work brilliantly with a secure jack socket and they are excellently shielded without any hum. The neck is also in fantastic condition without any scratches or dings, the only marks on it are some tiny dings and scratches in the clearcoat finish, as to be expected of a bass with a few years on it. Having said that, it looks as though it's been babied throughout it's life and has certainly not been chucked around at gigs (not a hint buckle rash to be seen!). I've looked after it as though it were my own child, hence me only wanting to move it on for something that really grabs me.

Here are a few pictures, a mix from the high quality ones the previous owner sent me, as well as a few I took myself. I can easily take more too, just ask.

[b]As I say, I'm particularly interested in Warwick Thumbs atm but I'd be willing to respond to any offers received. I've got a thing for basses that are a bit "interesting", especially if it's a bit of an 80's vibe they're giving off. Basically, feel free to PM me any trade offers you have, or any questions you have about the bass.[/b]

[size=5]SOLD and out the door now!/size]

Edited by Chris2112

Lovely bass.

I have the S1 thru which is effectively the same bass in design and electronics,but with an Ash body and green-burst finish.As with most Statii,they are fantastically versatile instruments that are capable of handling virtually any playing style-although to my ears,this model is a little less "bright" and a lot warmer-sounding than some of the newer stuff.

But swapping a Status for a Warwick....sacrilege! :) :rolleyes:

Good luck.

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='520589' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:06 AM']Lovely bass.

I have the S1 thru which is effectively the same bass in design and electronics,but with an Ash body and green-burst finish.As with most Statii,they are fantastically versatile instruments that are capable of handling virtually any playing style-although to my ears,this model is a little less "bright" and a lot warmer-sounding than some of the newer stuff.

But swapping a Status for a Warwick....sacrilege! :) :rolleyes:

Good luck.[/quote]

Yeah, this one can do the warmer tones, although it still naturally sits in the typically "zingy" Status sound area! And of course, they are very versatile basses, but the Statii core fans are a very select bunch who know what they like from basses, and I must say that I am prone to getting a bit slappity-poppity on this one! :lol:

Decent price for a great bass.
Status no longer make a "direct" equivalent to this but the "low end" bolt-on neck S2 classic now retails for over £1400.....most current Statii (S2,original Kingbass,Stealth etc.)have soapbar pickups and 3 band eq with sweep control.
Interestingly,the new KBmk2 has Jazz pickups......having had an S2 and two Kingbasses I find the Jazz pickups with the fixed frequency bass/treble stack knob circuit (as on this matrix)a little "warmer."

Jeez-you'll have me buying it next....if it was the Blueburst Series 1(my holy grail) I'd have bitten your leg off,let alone your arm....... :) :rolleyes:

Come on someone please put me out of my misery and buy the thing before I do something stupid!!

[quote name='fretmeister' post='521448' date='Jun 23 2009, 09:25 AM']Chris - I've put a link up on musicradar for you. There was a bloke who was looking for a status over there a little while ago (he missed mine on ebay because he was out getting pissed!)

Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you very much! I'm thinking of putting this advert up on Statii too.

I do find this one to be "warmer" sounding for a Status, since I used to have a series 1 Stealth 6 string which was without a doubt, much more prone to being ultra bright. This one though has such a sweet sound, it's just as comfortable playing along to Level 42 tracks as it is to being thumped with a pick playing The Killers or Big Country tunes! Like I say, I will undoubtedly buy another Status, perhaps a Kingbass next time...I'd best start saving now! :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='522847' date='Jun 24 2009, 07:14 PM']I can't wait to get my hands on this- it'll be a real change for me from the usual passive Fender-type stuff! :)[/quote]

Well done! I've had two Series I models over the years, mine both had the P and J configuration but I'm sure the twin J's will be superb (in fact I always wanted that type!!)

Watch out for them thar lizards though! (I'm a fellow D.I. fan! - you know what I mean!)

Unfortunately I've had to reconsider putting the cash down for this now- I'm gutted... :)

This is a [i]lot[/i] of bass for the money, especially at this new price- somebody buy this now!

Regards and good luck Chris!