Why become a member? ×

Eden NA650

MuseMatt

At my local bass shop there's a Eden Nemesis 650 for sale with a 2x10" & 1x15" cab (not sure which, but also Eden). I obviously am going to try it out before I buy it, but I was hoping if there are people around with experience with these amps.

My reason for changing setup is that I can to get rid of the massiveness of 4x10", as it's just not easy to handle, and I mostly play rock music.

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='519089' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:24 AM']At my local bass shop there's a Eden Nemesis 650 for sale with a 2x10" & 1x15" cab (not sure which, but also Eden). I obviously am going to try it out before I buy it, but I was hoping if there are people around with experience with these amps.[/quote]

Can't comment on the cabs but used to own the same head. It's very flexible and can go from being very clean but still warm through to a nice valvey emulation which is quite convincing and better than the same sort of emulation on EBS amps.

The built-in limiter is a bit annoying and takes some time to get use to as its associated with the gain control. Its only 400w at 4 ohm though, built very well but a bit heavy. Footswitch for Enhance control is very useful to get instant scoop tone.

I use a Nemesis NC115 combo which is pretty much the same amp, without the edge control, but 250w. I find the tone perfect for me and the power is plenty for what I do. In fact, a lot of Eden users use the amp set totally flat, with a little bit of Enhance if they want a slap tone. I also have an NSP115 speaker cab which I add to the combo if I want more grunt. Again this is a great sounding cab and very lightweight too. You can easily life it with one hand.

Give them a try and see what you think. I thoroughly recommend them.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='519162' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:12 AM']One of the best amp ever made, regardless of price. I kind of miss mine!!

D.[/quote]
I'm still enjoying it Derek, as it happens... :)

As Spartacus has already said, it's tonally very flexible, with the semi-parametric e.q really handy for making very quick tonal adjustments as it allows you to cut/boost anywhere from 40hz to 10khz!

The enhance control allows you to dial in a very good 'scooped mids' tone which is instantly very pleasing to the ears, but IMO, takes too much away from the natural 'bite' in the sound that this amp has. The Edge control does provide a very useful valve simulation, which I like to use as it dirties up the sound of the amp, but in a good way.

Some of the other features are very handy too; the mute button, DI out with adjustable level, gain boost which is great if you have basses that have very diffferent output levels ( which mine do) and the footswitch comes in handy too. Another great feature is that it will run comfortably at 2 ohms and give you the full 650 watts, which is terrific for someone like me who has two 4ohm cabs.

The only crticism I have is that the NA 650 has a well-documented design flaw in that is not completely silent; it has a slight hum which can be quite annoying when using the amp at low volume levels.. I took it to my amp repairer and he tried to remedy it with some extra sheilding, but it didn't work at all!

Otherwise - a great amp!

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='526787' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:55 PM']

Just had to post this[/quote]
Nice!!

I had an NA320 for a short while and loved it to bits when played solo, but never got on with it in a band setting. Would love to try one again though, think i know where I was going wrong before :)