Why become a member? ×

To defret or not.......

martthebass

Well I don't seem to be having much luck funding my fretless aspirations by selling my newly acquired Sandberg basic Ken Taylor 5 (thread below):

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51060"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51060[/url]

So, seeing as I'm starting to get used to the neck (it's not so different to my old SR5 now that I'm becoming familiar with the gloss neck rather than the wax/oil on the MM) and it seems to be able generate a level of warmth that I like in a fretless, I'm seriously considering getting it defretted. So a few questions:

1. Would this be a good idea - or would it destroy any value in the bass?
2. What would you look at for the 'line' - maple or plastic?
3. What should I expect in terms of cost for a 'professional' job?
4. And finally, any recomendations for a good luthier in the Sheffield/Doncaster area.

Mods... if you think this would be better in the reps/tech area please move.

Cheers, Mart

First, I'd suggest sourcing a fretless neck as opposed to de-fretting. Next, I'd carefully consider whether the finish of the neck will be problematic - an untreated neck is by far the simplest to de-fret, but a good luthier should be able to modify a lightly finished neck without too many risks. If sourcing a replacement neck isn't your decision, then:

1. If the bass suits your requirements, then yes, go for it. It won't destroy the resale value, as all modifications can be reversed.
2. There are other options, such as a sawdust-derived resin. It's also possible to have the frets filled down to the touchboard surface. It's really down to what appearance you're looking to achieve - but plastic is possibly the simplest option.
3. Circa £200, including a set-up and set of strings.

Remember, the nut will require modification, so you might want to do what I did and retain the original nut, having a completely fresh one cut for the fretless modification.

Think about it carefully, as it's by no means certain that you'll achieve the desired mwah, and may find yourself considering additional modifications to attain your desired tone.

[quote name='martthebass' post='514746' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:06 PM']4. And finally, any recomendations for a good luthier in the Sheffield/Doncaster area.[/quote]

Jon Shuker
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/[/url]

That's the sort of thing he does in between making customs.
He'll also give you an honest opnion.

[quote name='noelk27' post='514813' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:06 PM']First, I'd suggest sourcing a fretless neck as opposed to de-fretting. Next, I'd carefully consider whether the finish of the neck will be problematic - an untreated neck is by far the simplest to de-fret, but a good luthier should be able to modify a lightly finished neck without too many risks. If sourcing a replacement neck isn't your decision, then:

1. If the bass suits your requirements, then yes, go for it. It won't destroy the resale value, as all modifications can be reversed.
2. There are other options, such as a sawdust-derived resin. It's also possible to have the frets filled down to the touchboard surface. It's really down to what appearance you're looking to achieve - but plastic is possibly the simplest option.
3. Circa £200, including a set-up and set of strings.

Remember, the nut will require modification, so you might want to do what I did and retain the original nut, having a completely fresh one cut for the fretless modification.

Think about it carefully, as it's by no means certain that you'll achieve the desired mwah, and may find yourself considering additional modifications to attain your desired tone.[/quote]

All good advice above. My personal view is no. In many respects defretting a bass is like buying a fretless without playing it first. I've several Fenders and swap the necks around a lot, I've a fretted Precision that sounds lovely with a fretted neck but shocking with a fretless neck - no sustain and no growl - but the same fretless neck is perfect on my other Precision body on which the fretted neck sounds crap! I don't know whether this is down to frets/no frets, pocket fit or woods, but it does suggest that some necks or bodies might have characteristics that work for fretted but not fretless. OK, if you have a cheapo bass and you want to try fretless, a defret is the way forwards. Also, if you know enough about the tone you're after and can be confident that you'll get it with the same neck albeit defretted, likewise go for it (for example, if you play La Bella Deep Talking strings on a fretted or fretless Precision it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, both fretted and fretless necks sound pretty much the same, i.e., big and thumpy, the fretless gives you a slightly more upright feel but the tone is the same either way). However, if you're after a specific fretless tone, you won't be sure until you've done it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='514837' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:37 PM']Jon Shuker
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/[/url]

That's the sort of thing he does in between making customs.
He'll also give you an honest opnion.[/quote]

And that's also good advice, if you're going to do it, go to someone good

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm definitely in two minds on this one. If the bass was a standard, say Fender, I'd source a F'less neck but I guess this is less easy on the Sandberg - I suspect even if I could source a neck from them it would be prohibitive in price and might compromise the pocket fit (the fit is typical Germanic precision - i.e. tight).

My initial thoughts for the job turned to Jon S, but I wasn't sure if he still took this kind of work on seeing as he's busy making half the custom builds for Basschat!

Guess I'll float the bass in the 'for sale' for a little while longer while I come to a decision.