Why become a member? ×

Ibanez K5 for sale

barry44

Guys,

due to overspending due to a bout of P bass GAS, i need to shift my other guitars, i have had no interest in my ATK400 so i have decided to put my modded K5 up for sale.

i received this in a swap from Rayman and whilst i found it a delight to play, the sound was lacking to my ears.

Subsequently, i bought and installed an EQ02 system and the difference in sound was there from the get go.

i sold the ibanez pre amp on therefore i cannot split the guitar for individual sale.

The bass itself is the fieldy from Korn signature model and has the following construction:

Body: Mahogany core with Paduak fronts and back
Neck: 5 piece bolt on wenge and walnut with a rosewood fret board, K5 inlay at the 12th fret.
Pick ups: Ibanez ADX5 Humbuckers

the neck is unfinished, i think that is the correct term and is an absolute dream to play, the string spacing is 16.5mm

The body has no dings, only some indentations in the soft wood on the back where it has rubbed against my belt whilst playing.

if anyone is interested, i shall post pictures of the back on the thread.

i have put this up for sale for offers around £350 with the buyer arranging their own courier.

if sent, it shall be packaged within a warwick rockbass gig bag, in a large box which should stop any damage to it.

thanks for looking,

Barry

[attachment=27086:K5.jpg]

[attachment=27087:K5_2.jpg]

Edited by barry44

Brilliant, brilliant bass. I loved it before the ACG was dropped in, it must be utterly awesome now. This bass played as nicely as my Overwatwer, seriously, it plays itself. Bargain.

I've got exactly the same bass and agree with you about the stock pre-amp. It definitely needs changing. I bought mine for the same price advertised here so with the new pre-amp this sounds like a bargain. Its a great bass to play, really comfortable neck too.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='514739' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:02 PM']I thought the Fieldy model was Black? Did they make it in a range of colours?[/quote]

this is the one before the black version with the mahogany padauk sandwich body, the newer trans black version is just mahogany i believe.

and this also used to be mine, in fact i think thats my pic up there!!

i think i have the original preamp too......

[quote name='spree' post='514748' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:06 PM']this is the one before the black version with the mahogany padauk sandwich body, the newer trans black version is just mahogany i believe.

and this also used to be mine, in fact i think thats my pic up there!!

i think i have the original preamp too......[/quote]

hmm spree, the plot thickens....

with a different pre in it can you still replicate fieldys signature click boom type sound, is it still possible to completely scoop out the mids? I thought there was some sort special doohickey type gizmo in the stock pre that did this

[quote name='kevbass' post='514787' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:35 PM']with a different pre in it can you still replicate fieldys signature click boom type sound, is it still possible to completely scoop out the mids? I thought there was some sort special doohickey type gizmo in the stock pre that did this[/quote]

the original pre had a vari mid control and cut/boost.

but it was the mids that i found to be lacking, the ACG pre is a different kettle of fish all together, it allows a lot more mid range through thus letting the bass be heard more in the mix.

as for fieldy's sound, i cannot comment as i am not a fan of korn

Fieldys sound has been described by some as "the sound of someone pouring a box of Tic Tacs down a flight of wooden steps". It is very clicky at the top end and thumpy at the bottom with absolutely no mids at all. It works well on some of the songs but I find it irritating after a while. Korn aside, I think this sig bass can do much much more, and I really enjoyed playing some jazz and funk on it. Again, I reckon it was as comfortable to play as my Overwater was.

[quote name='kevbass' post='514787' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:35 PM']with a different pre in it can you still replicate fieldys signature click boom type sound, is it still possible to completely scoop out the mids? I thought there was some sort special doohickey type gizmo in the stock pre that did this[/quote]

when i had this bass, the easiest way to get Fieldy's sound was simply to detune everything, the way he and the other Korners do, so the B string is tuned to A and so on, the strings are then so slack that you will get the clicky boomy effect, then a tweak of the eq perfects it

You can also replicate Fieldy's sound using any form of "Pre-Shape" on an amp head such as Trace Elliot, Peavey, Markbass etc etc.
Great bass and may I say from personal experience that KoRn blew everyone away at Download with such a GREAT set!
His tone is unique and works well for what he does...I personally prefere a bit more mid in the sound though but I love the click boom tone. :)

This bass is a bargain.

[quote name='Jarhead' post='517887' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:57 PM']Me wanty, I saw Korn at download, was immense, and now I really want his signature bass lol.

Zach[/quote]

I know man, I know, I was there too! :)
In the front central mosh pit!

[quote name='Kongo' post='518032' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:39 AM']I know man, I know, I was there too! :)
In the front central mosh pit![/quote]
Lol, sick. Which side were you on? I was being crippled against the left side barrier lol, couldn't move lol.

Zach

I actually know a couple of Jazzers that love this bass. The mahogany and paduak give it a nice presence and its very well priced for a high spec'd bass, but with an ACG02... :)

If only there was more space between the bridge and PU for my roland system!!

Dan

[quote name='Jarhead' post='518983' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:57 PM']Lol, sick. Which side were you on? I was being crippled against the left side barrier lol, couldn't move lol.

Zach[/quote]

Left side, centre...About 50 metres awat from the stage I think...In between 50 and 100 lets say for scope. :)
It was a pit with a very large bloke with the St. Georges Cross painted on his head who was at the same time as moshing, throwing people up into the crowd LOL!
We moshed and when I slammed into him it just semi winded me and did nothing to him! :rolleyes:

For Slipknot I was getting crushed right at the front!
SERIOUSLY crushed but it was MEGA!

Edited by Kongo

• 2 weeks later...