Why become a member? ×

Can you identify this Dean ?

Ou7shined

It belongs to a mate who has been buggering about with the micro-switches on the active circuit and can't remember how they were set.
[attachment=26937:Adams_Bass.jpg]
I have looked in all the obvious places and drawn a blank other than it might be an Edge.

It has rather odd wrist contour, a 15mm string spacing and quite a rubbish sound despite having a brand new set of D'Addario nickels on it.... but he loves it. :)

It's a Korean built DB95.
They are generically referred to as "Tropical" basses because they were built in the period when Dean guitars was owned by a company called Tropical Music.
They were manufactured between 1991 - 1996.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='512486' date='Jun 12 2009, 10:13 PM']Dean Martin.[/quote]
Win.

Anyway... I don't quite get the bit of wood/joint thing at the bottom of the neck. Looks ugly (in my very subjective opinion) and I've seen a few other makers do that recently... which puzzles me.

Edit: as in I've seen it recently, not that they've done it recently. Although they do. But they obviously did it non-recently as well. Glad to clear that up. :)

Edited by Eight

[quote name='RhysP' post='512520' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:15 PM']It's a Korean built DB95.
They are generically referred to as "Tropical" basses because they were built in the period when Dean guitars was owned by a company called Tropical Music.
They were manufactured between 1991 - 1996.[/quote]

He's right!

I had the 4 string passive version of this (there was an active and a fretless version IIRC). I paid £90 for it, lost the backplate then sold it for £45 and 5 sets of Elites. WIN!

Mine sounded pretty poor, had the same forearm rout and (very badly done) inlays. I've got an old bass book with the model numbers in, can fetch it if required

I've not since seen inlays done as bad as on my old Dean, more filler than wood!