Why become a member? ×

Transportation advice

beardybass

Ello all, I need some advice, I'm planning to move back to the U.K. in the next few months or so and I'm wondering about the possibility of getting my basses back with me.

Has anyone on here got any experience of this kind of thing? What would be the best thing to do, or am I kidding myself? Would it be better to just grit my teeth and sell them before I leave?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

I bought a Musicman bass in Australia and took it home with me in the standard MM hard case - I just slackened off the strings, laid plenty of bubble wrap inside the case, and wrapped the outside too. If it's in a decent hardcase, with decent padding inside, you'll be fine - mine got from Adelaide to Manchester via Melbourne, Hong Kong and Heathrow without a scratch on it!

When you're looking for a decent flightcase, look for one that is ATA (Air Travel Approved). You might get away with a standard hard-case, but the ATA ones are specifically designed for air travel and IMO definately worth the extra money they cost.

I'd also get things insured so you're covered even if something does get broken...I'd think you would need an ATA case to make sure things were properly covered under insurance anyway.