Why become a member? ×

A Big Hello from Austria

7enderhead

Hi folks,

The usual act of courtesy:

I'm Christian from Austria/Europe (you get it :-). Bassplayer since, uhh, 1991 (damn, it has started [i]that[/i] long ago). Most of the guys I played with when I was 16 turned pro, but not me - I chose to earn some money :)

So I'm in the software business now and spend lots of time and dough on my gear. Since last year I have played with [i]Son of the Velvet Rat[/i] ([url="http://www.velvetrat.mur.at/"]homepage[/url]), were I'm part of the live band for our singer/songwriter, who writes excellent songs. We did 15 gigs last year, so it's like semi-pro.

I mostly play flatwound-strung Precision basses with a pick. My influences are mainly from good [i]bands[/i], not necessarily players, since I prefer good songs over perfect playing. Certainly on my list would be Chris Squire (I long to own a Ric) and John Persh from Rare Earth (go get the Live album from 1971). I mostly listen to pop/rock.

Gear. Well, I've owned too much of that and still do. I'm currently in the process of assembling my pedal board.

Basses: I mainly play the first three on rotation and have promised myself to get rid of most of the others, but it's hard, isn't it?

[list]
[*]Fender Duck Dunn Precision (w/ La Bella flatwounds)
[*]Fender 51 Precision Reissue (w/ Thomastik flatwounds)
[*]Fender Custom Shop 63 Reissue Precision 1987 (currently w/ roundwounds)
[*]Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz (w/ roundwounds)
[*]Fender Jaco Pastorius Signature Jazz Fretless
[*]Höfner Club Bass 1965
[*]G&L L2000 USA
[*]Tokai Jazz Sound P/J (1980s)
[*]Some old frankenstein basses from my youth (converted to fretless mostly)
[/list]

Amps: I almost only play the Markbass now, which has a great sound and is very lightweight.

[list]
[*]Markbass Mini CMD 121
[*]Dean Markley Bass Preamp from the 1980s
[*]Intersound IVP Preamp
[*]Powersoft 4*1000 watts power amp
[*]4 DIY 2*12 sealed cabinets
[*]Dynacord BS412 combo
[/list]

Hm, a rather lengthy introduction, so that'll be it for now.

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Christian,
Welcome! Where in Austria are you? Some good friends of mine have a great band, based in Ried im Innkreis. They were a 3 piece called Sin After Sin (very heavy!) now a 4 piece called Revolve.. more classic rock, still excellent!

[url="http://www.myspace.com/revolverockmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/revolverockmusic[/url]

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='506401' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:55 PM']Wow you really do have some gear there!
I used to have a Geddy Lee jazz.[/quote]

And that's only the stuff I remember right now - I does not include all my effect gear, the synth-bass-keyboard-with-midi-pedal setup and my guitars and drumset - I admit it, I'm a gearhead.

Concerning the Geddy Lee: I really dig the great neck, but I'm not a Jazz Bass person. I recently saw Bobby Vega on YouTube playing a Precision with a block inlay Jazz neck - I might be cookin' up something similar...

Cheers,

Christian

[quote name='hubrad' post='506427' date='Jun 5 2009, 03:33 PM']Hi Christian,
Welcome! Where in Austria are you? Some good friends of mine have a great band, based in Ried im Innkreis. They were a 3 piece called Sin After Sin (very heavy!) now a 4 piece called Revolve.. more classic rock, still excellent![/quote]

Hi there,

Well, I'm from the southeast (Styria), so that's quite a bit from Ried (which is in Upper Austria) - all of 'em Alps in between :-).

Their music sounds interesting though - kind of sped up Kyuss, if I may say so (ok, not really...)

Cheers,

Christian