Why become a member? ×

Finger Pain

allighatt0r

About a year ago, i switched from being a pick player to a fingerstyle player, mainly because the joint of my thumb nearest the fingernail is doublejointed, and bends too far backwards, so i can't hold picks properly. Also for tone reasons.

Anyway, at my gig last night, about halfway through the second set i started getting pain in the knuckle of my forefinger while i was playing... I don't think there is anything wrong with my fingerstyle technique, i keep my fingers perpendicular and my wrist straight, but i was wondering if anyone else gets this, and if there is maybe a detailed "how to play fingerstyle like a pro" article about so i can look at learning from the ground up?

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='502127' date='May 31 2009, 10:13 AM']About a year ago, i switched from being a pick player to a fingerstyle player, mainly because the joint of my thumb nearest the fingernail is doublejointed, and bends too far backwards, so i can't hold picks properly. Also for tone reasons.

Anyway, at my gig last night, about halfway through the second set i started getting pain in the knuckle of my forefinger while i was playing... I don't think there is anything wrong with my fingerstyle technique, i keep my fingers perpendicular and my wrist straight, but i was wondering if anyone else gets this, and if there is maybe a detailed "how to play fingerstyle like a pro" article about so i can look at learning from the ground up?[/quote]

Hi

I've got exactly the same double joint issue and also have had pain in both knuckles on my plucking hand, nothing major but it's a bit disconcerting and better to rest it when you can, if this starts up.

If you look at your thumb position while it's resting on the pickup, you'll notice that it's also bent too much at that joint - I suspect that puts a bit too much of a stretch on the tendons at the knuckle joint and is the source of the pain. It's very difficult but try resting your thumb with the pad of your finger on the pickup as opposed to bending that joint too much. This totally alters the mechanics of your hand when playing and reduces the stress on those tendons.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='502127' date='May 31 2009, 10:13 AM']About a year ago, i switched from being a pick player to a fingerstyle player, mainly because the joint of my thumb nearest the fingernail is doublejointed, and bends too far backwards, so i can't hold picks properly. Also for tone reasons.

Anyway, at my gig last night, about halfway through the second set i started getting pain in the knuckle of my forefinger while i was playing... I don't think there is anything wrong with my fingerstyle technique, i keep my fingers perpendicular and my wrist straight, but i was wondering if anyone else gets this, and if there is maybe a detailed "how to play fingerstyle like a pro" article about so i can look at learning from the ground up?[/quote]
It may be that you play too agresisively straight off and need to warm up your joints first? I always think its best to move all of your finger joints a little to play a note than to over-extend one joint to do the whole thing. Equally I'm not sure that perpendicular sounds ideal anyway.

I would recommend alternate heat and cold on your joints to calm them down (hot water bottle or wheatbag, then bag of icecubes, alternating). You may also want to try ibuprofen as this has an anti-inflammatory effect.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='AM1' post='502146' date='May 31 2009, 11:23 AM']It's very difficult but try resting your thumb with the pad of your finger on the pickup as opposed to bending that joint too much. This totally alters the mechanics of your hand when playing and reduces the stress on those tendons.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by resting the pad of my finger on the pickup, do you mean the point of my thumb? :)

Also, Geek99, sorry, I meant parallel! Perpendicular would be very odd!

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='502561' date='May 31 2009, 09:10 PM']I'm not sure what you mean by resting the pad of my finger on the pickup, do you mean the point of my thumb? :)

Also, Geek99, sorry, I meant parallel! Perpendicular would be very odd![/quote]
I believe she means putting the fat fleshy part of your thumb wholly (and flat down) on the pickup's upper face, not just the tip of your thumb. It should spread the load a little and take pressure off the joint.

Pre gig muscle toning could help a lot. Maybe you have a another income job where you use your hands a different way from playing?
I sometimes feel the need to tone the hands, lower arms and fingers pre gig, especially in winter and if I haven't been doing much practice. Generally massaging all these playing areas can be very beneficial pre gig.

[quote name='mybass' post='502926' date='Jun 1 2009, 01:40 PM']Pre gig muscle toning could help a lot. Maybe you have a another income job where you use your hands a different way from playing?
I sometimes feel the need to tone the hands, lower arms and fingers pre gig, especially in winter and if I haven't been doing much practice. Generally massaging all these playing areas can be very beneficial pre gig.[/quote]

May I also add to this and suggest investing in a "Gripmaster"?
From Planet Waves, you put it in the palm of your hand and press the buttons down, each finger isolated, like you would frets.
Comes with various exercises and warmups.

I always take mine with me to a rehearsal or gig.
I arrive 1 our early to rehearsal and start pressing...when I know about 1 hour to 30 mins that I'll be up next @ a gig...I'll be pressing! :)

They have different resistances (Spring pressure) and it really helps get the blood to the muscles and joints before you even get hands on the fretboard, then you have warmed up fingers to warm up on your bass, which won't take as long.

I find it more useful because it's so portable you never warm down before you want to...Even in rehearsal or standing on stage, beofre the first song hold it in either hand and press...constant warm up. :rolleyes:

Helped my fingers considerably and with join problems being hereditary in both sides of the family, due care is a must!

:lol:

Edited by Kongo