Why become a member? ×

Recording interface and MIDI controller questions

amj

Evenin' all

In the coming weeks I'm going to be setting myself up with one of the new iMacs. Only the basic spec, nothing too exciting!

Now, I've been wanting to set up some kind of recording software for quite some time now, moreso just to roughly record ideas at the moment, with a view to perhaps starting to get down some ideas via soft synths and the like. However, seeing as I'm new to this stuff, I'd appreciate a bit of advice when it comes to how to run my bass into the mac. I'm assuming I'll need some kind of interface, or can I just go straight in? With regards to software, I'm gonna be using Garageband to start with, but maybe switching to Pro Tools once my dad sorts me out with a copy.

My second question concerns the midi controller, can anyone recommend a nice cheap midi controller? I'm not too fussed about having weighted keys and all that. I'm no piano virtuoso by anyone's standard so I don't need a massive range, just enough octaves to mess around with.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Protools is hardware specific, you can't just get a copy and away you go, there is a version that'll run on some m-audio stuff tho, otherwise you're looking at digidesign hardware. TBH I'd ony recommend protools if you intend to invest serious cash in a protools hd system one day, otherwise Logic, Digital Performer etc are probably better cos they work with most hardware.

garage band is prety good for newb, and'll keep you entertained while you work out Audio Unit effects and instruments. Once you've got your head round GB, I'd recommend the new logic express (if you plan on staying with apple)- its cheaper than pro-tools, has a more modern interface and will lead on nicely from your gb experience.

Go for separate midi controller and audio interface (the macs behave better this way). You've plenty of 2in 2 out firewire audio interfaces to choose from too - which ted to have slightly better latency than the USB stuff.

Edited by clauster

Hi AMJ

Really short and sweet answer is - from my limited experience - for an interface for plugging you bass into the mac:

Tascam US-122 is great - very simple USB analogue to digital interface - good for plugging in bass/guitar, mics and MIDI devices.

However this unit won't really let you run a pair of decent studio monitors - which are well worth getting too when your budget allows (you can get something decent for less than £300) - so my solution was to get a Mackie Onyx Satellite Base Station. This has up to 8 instrument inputs - uses the same audio drivers as the Mackie Onyx desk (that would set you back £1500) but only costs £150 - I'd recommend both of these but I'm sure others will have equally good suggestions.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks everyone!

I've got my mac now and I absolutely love it although the sheer abundance of year 2 degree work (You don't become a chemical engineer overnight I guess!) has meant I've had mostly sod all time for music. Got a bit of cash after xmas though so will look into some of those suggestions!

I agree with whats being said. When you get a new mac you will have the opportunity to get Logic 8 Express for £130. Thats a steal for what it does (its slimmed down from the pro version but not so slimmed I ever notice it).

There are 3 or 4 threads lurking about with sound card advice. If you go Pro Tools, DO NOT go M-Audio. Get the Digidesign stuff. I have had two M audio cards fail on me.

Have a look at Mackie, Presonus and Focusrite if pro tools is not something you are interested in.

G