Why become a member? ×

re-finish for a 78 jazz

bassmeg

[quote name='sixshooter' post='501043' date='May 29 2009, 03:45 PM']You could try Joe White 01252 520911 near Aldershot. He refinished my 1959 P bass, (see the picture on the left, and yes it is a real 59)[/quote]

How bad was the original??

Do you regret having it done?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='501038' date='May 29 2009, 03:44 PM']No, don't do it. It looks awesome.[/quote]

Thanks for the nice comment.
Just checked out your band mate. I reckon the paint job on my guitar was made for your band. Or maybe youve owned it before and your band created my crazed effect!! :)
You wont be seen on TOTP anytime soon.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='501043' date='May 29 2009, 03:45 PM']You could try Joe White 01252 520911 near Aldershot. He refinished my 1959 P bass, (see the picture on the left, and yes it is a real 59)[/quote]

I hope you don't mind me asking...
Just wondering how much you paid?
And what type of lacquer was used?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='501483' date='May 30 2009, 10:54 AM']I hope you don't mind me asking...
Just wondering how much you paid?
And what type of lacquer was used?[/quote]

Dont know bout the lacquer, but paid 850 for it 7 years ago.

It's your choice, but originality is what counts in an old bass and what makes it keep it's value as an appreciating asset. The look is of much lesser importance.

These numbers are just for illustration, but if an original 78 jazz is worth approx £2000, and with a poor finish approx £1500, even with a great refinish its value might only be worth approx £1000. The percentage difference will increase in years to come.

[quote name='bassmeg' post='501511' date='May 30 2009, 11:34 AM']Dont know bout the lacquer, but paid 850 for it 7 years ago.[/quote]

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

I was asking 'SixShooter' how much he paid for the re-finish on his bass.
Just wondering what a decent paintjob costs.

I would think that if you have the bass restored properly and to original spec, that you wouldn't devalue it.
I have restored many motorcycles over the years and it is only bad work that causes a drop in value.
If done well, who would know it has been restored?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='501876' date='May 30 2009, 08:06 PM']Sorry for the misunderstanding..

I was asking 'SixShooter' how much he paid for the re-finish on his bass.
Just wondering what a decent paintjob costs.

I would think that if you have the bass restored properly and to original spec, that you wouldn't devalue it.
I have restored many motorcycles over the years and it is only bad work that causes a drop in value.
If done well, who would know it has been restored?[/quote]

It was in the couple of hundread area, the Bass when I got it was stripped to the wood so if I sold it in future there would be 2 choices, a great sympathetic refin or strip it back to the wood again. Either way the only loss is the potential cost of the spray.

On the plus side, it would be very difficult for anyone to tell that this is not the original finish, all paint and finishers used are as near to the original as possible, the relic work has been done to preserve all original marks in the wood including the wear and tear from 50 years of playing.

No way do I regret having this done, this Bass is awsome, took it to a Bass bash last year in Guildford and gave a few people a chance to have a play of it, it there are any of them reading this chip in with your take on this refin...

Edited by sixshooter