Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Wal Custom 4-string SOLD

leftybassman392

Thought I'd run this by y'all. I'm thinking of selling my Lefthanded Wal Custom, and am keen to get some feedback. I'm in no hurry as I don't need the money particularly (no more than normal anyway!), so am prepared to spend some time listening before I decide. It's a 1984 Custom with Wenge facings. It's in very good condition but has been well used by myself and others in it's time, and does have one or two minor marks - nothing serious though, and certainly nothing that's visible from audience range. Don't have the original case, but it has been stored, transported and looked after well. I've had it around 7 years. Photography will appear in due course.

Why am I thinking of selling it? Well, to be honest, I don't play it these days. Haven't gigged it for ages, haven't gigged it regularly since I stopped playing in my mate's Jazz band a couple of years ago. So, possibly, time for it to move on.

Plenty more info in the fullness of time, but that'll do for now. Feel free to ask.

Price, well you know what it is and you know what it does. Don't have a definite price in mind, but even in depressed market conditions, good ones are still fetching over £2k. Please note, that's a tentative benchmark and not an o.n.o. price. Just so you know how I'm thinking. Rarity is certain to be a factor - I had it serviced by Pete the Fish when I bought it, and even he commented on how rare it was to see a left handed one.

Trades, quite possibly for the right instrument - with cash adjustment as required. I'd be looking to replace it with something of broadly similar stature - talk to me! Not interested in gear though, as I love my PJB's and see no need to tinker.

Update as of 30th May: Pics now available. Enjoy, but don't make a mess.:

[attachment=26187:DSCF0023.JPG][attachment=26189:DSCF0025.JPG][attachment=26192:DSCF0026.JPG]
[attachment=26190:DSCF0029.JPG][attachment=26191:DSCF0030.JPG]

Edited by leftybassman392

[b]Note [/b]to Silverfoxnik: You're right - it is a Custom! Made in March 1984. Sorry for the error and thanks for pointing it out...appreciated. :)

[b]Note [/b]to Coasterbass: Thanks for the good advice. Thought it might be better in the main topic area for now though, as I'm keen to discuss some points that might be of more general interest first. Is it heavy?...is it ever! Upside is the tone and sustain, which has to be heard to be believed.

Just listen to this:...............................................................................................
....................................................................................................

A bit more than the average Wal, I think you'll agree :rolleyes:

[b]Note [/b]to all: Photos will appear in the next few days. It could use a service. Anybody know who does it now that Pete has retired?

Slight digression but a nice story that tells you something about Pete the Fish:

I had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times - on one occasion, he suggested we go for lunch.... which turned out to be the local fleabit pub just round the corner from his workshop. Wanna know what his typical weekday lunch was? The biggest, greasiest bacon butty I'd ever laid eyes on at that point; a pint of best bitter and a roll-up - all at the same time! No wonder he's retired on health grounds. Lovely, lovely man - definitely old school though.

More soon.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='500008' date='May 28 2009, 04:27 PM'][b]Note [/b]to Silverfoxnik: You're right - it is a Custom! Made in March 1984. Sorry for the error and thanks for pointing it out...appreciated. :)

[b]Note [/b]to Coasterbass: Thanks for the good advice. Thought it might be better in the main topic area for now though, as I'm keen to discuss some points that might be of more general interest first. Is it heavy?...is it ever! Upside is the tone and sustain, which has to be heard to be believed.

Just listen to this:...............................................................................................
....................................................................................................

A bit more than the average Wal, I think you'll agree :rolleyes:

[b]Note [/b]to all: Photos will appear in the next few days. It could use a service. Anybody know who does it now that Pete has retired?

Slight digression but a nice story that tells you something about Pete the Fish:

I had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times - on one occasion, he suggested we go for lunch.... which turned out to be the local fleabit pub just round the corner from his workshop. Wanna know what his typical weekday lunch was? The biggest, greasiest bacon butty I'd ever laid eyes on at that point; a pint of best bitter and a roll-up - all at the same time! No wonder he's retired on health grounds. Lovely, lovely man - definitely old school though.

More soon.[/quote]

Might be best to contact Paul Herman directly as he has taken up the Wal mantle now.. I'll PM you his contact details..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='500146' date='May 28 2009, 06:49 PM']Might be best to contact Paul Herman directly as he has taken up the Wal mantle now.. I'll PM you his contact details..[/quote]

TIA. I'm guessing that he's a very busy man right now though. Great news that the Wal name is going to carry on.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='500146' date='May 28 2009, 06:49 PM']Might be best to contact Paul Herman directly as he has taken up the Wal mantle now.. I'll PM you his contact details..[/quote]

PM sent re: Paul Herman

[quote name='josh3184' post='501438' date='May 30 2009, 09:36 AM']can't wait for some pics :)[/quote]

Your wish is my command. Now available in the original post. :rolleyes:

Another point that might be worth mentioning: I had a fascinating conversation with Paul Herman about this instrument. He told me that he'd be happy to carry out the service. He also pointed out that the Ebony fretboard featured on this instrument is quite an unusual configuration for this model - fretted Customs normally had Rosewood boards. I can confirm that this is the original specification as per the back of the control coverplate.

Update on 3rd June.

For the interest of, er, interested parties:-

After a number of interesting and enlightening conversations with various parties (many thanks to everyone who responded), I've decided to offer the Wal for sale through the Bass Gallery in Camden (who have kindly agreed to handle the sale for me). It will be serviced by Martin Petersen, and then made available through their store. If you are interested in having a closer look at it, it should be available to view/try from next week onwards - can't give you an exact day at this point 'cos it'll depend how long it takes to get the work done.

Price? Again, can't give an exact figure until I've spoken to Martin: based on it's rarity and somewhat unusual wood selection, I would think that a ballpark figure of £2500 - £3000 wouldn't be far off. I'll give more details here as & when.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='504809' date='Jun 3 2009, 04:22 PM']Update on 3rd June.

For the interest of, er, interested parties:-

After a number of interesting and enlightening conversations with various parties (many thanks to everyone who responded), I've decided to offer the Wal for sale through the Bass Gallery in Camden (who have kindly agreed to handle the sale for me). It will be serviced by Martin Petersen, and then made available through their store. If you are interested in having a closer look at it, it should be available to view/try from next week onwards - can't give you an exact day at this point 'cos it'll depend how long it takes to get the work done.

Price? Again, can't give an exact figure until I've spoken to Martin: based on it's rarity and somewhat unusual wood selection, I would think that a ballpark figure of £2500 - £3000 wouldn't be far off. I'll give more details here as & when.[/quote]

Just thought I'd make the point that although The Bass Gallery will be putting it up on their list, I'm still actively seeking offers/trades. Interested to hear from anyone with a high end Jazz or lookalike (e.g. Sadowsky).

Wal is now with Martin Peterson at the Bass Gallery in Camden. By the time you read this it should have been serviced and available to have a play with. Don't know if it's on the website yet, but should be soon. If you fancy a good time with a legend, pop over or give them a ring :)

Asking price is o.i.r.o. £3000 ex Bass Gallery, which will include a full service and setup plus a hard case - not the original one sadly, but hey!.

Yes I know it's on the high side, but it's a price that has been agreed with The Bass Gallery based on their extensive knowledge of selling rare high end basses; and in any case I am still open to offers/trades for high end stuff.

PM me if you'd like to make an offer or suggest a trade - bear in mind that I can undercut that price quite a lot if I sell privately.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='510267' date='Jun 10 2009, 03:32 PM']Wal is now with Martin Peterson at the Bass Gallery in Camden. By the time you read this it should have been serviced and available to have a play with. Don't know if it's on the website yet, but should be soon. If you fancy a good time with a legend, pop over or give them a ring :)

Asking price is o.i.r.o. £3000 ex Bass Gallery, which will include a full service and setup plus a hard case - not the original one sadly, but hey!.

Yes I know it's on the high side, but it's a price that has been agreed with The Bass Gallery based on their extensive knowledge of selling rare high end basses; and in any case I am still open to offers/trades for high end stuff.

PM me if you'd like to make an offer or suggest a trade - bear in mind that I can undercut that price quite a lot if I sell privately.[/quote]

[b]Update as of 12th June[/b]. Wal is now on the Bass Gallery website. If you can get there, give it a try. Personally I suspect the price is a bit high, but see above. As before, still open to offers/trades - thinking Jazz Bass or lookalike as a first choice.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='520283' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:28 PM']Please dont take my poor atempt at humour in the wrong way!
I wasnt trying to say u were in the wrong part of the forum or anything.
I was only sad that it was a leftie being such a beaut!
Had a nice 85 custom til last year and still miss it.

BB[/quote]

Maybe I overreacted a little. Still a bit touchy after the recent 'debate' about the lefty forum proposal. Don't take it personally.

It is a lovely instrument - just trying to make it visible to a wider audience. You never know when someone will know someone who... etc.

Quite right too, it being such a rare beast it deserves to get played.
I didnt know there had been an issue with the lefties. There are plenty of basses i would never buy for various reasons ( 6 or 7 strings, fretless, acoustic, leftie or whatever ) but it's still nice to see 'em

Best of luck with the sale

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='520323' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:12 PM']Quite right too, it being such a rare beast it deserves to get played.
I didnt know there had been an issue with the lefties. There are plenty of basses i would never buy for various reasons ( 6 or 7 strings, fretless, acoustic, leftie or whatever ) but it's still nice to see 'em

Best of luck with the sale

BB[/quote]

Thx. Here's hopin'

• 2 weeks later...