Why become a member? ×

Help. Bassists or bass shops in Cape Town, South Africa

Beedster

I'm down in Cape Town an awful lot at the moment (usually one-two weeks per month). I'm a little worried about the security and cost of flying any of mine down (BA handlers are trained by a crack team from Parcelforce but would charge the earth if I wanted to take a case strong enough for there to be little risk) so would like to either rent or buy a bass down there. Anyone here local or have any local knowledge/suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='bassbloke' post='498723' date='May 27 2009, 01:36 PM']Why not buy a cheap bass and take it apart - stick body in your suitcase and neck in your hand luggage and re-assemble when you get there.[/quote]

It's an options for sure although I'm dreading taking that little bundle through security! I'm confident that even if I did and it was well-packed, BA would still snap the headstock off!

[quote name='Beedster' post='498734' date='May 27 2009, 01:51 PM']It's an options for sure although I'm dreading taking that little bundle through security! I'm confident that even if I did and it was well-packed, BA would still snap the headstock off![/quote]

Take a Status then :) Or send one via DHL in a flight case.

Taking one down in bits has to be the best answer. Much more choice here for you to find the right bass.

Given your impeccable taste in instruments - you;d have no problem sourcing 2nd hand Fender parts or Mighty Mite/Warmonth alternatives and knocking up a perfectly decent bass than you could take over to SA in bits and re-assemble. You'd probably be able to flog it for a decent price when you were finished too.

Thanks guys. Anyone ever taken a bass abroad in pieces? It's certainly looking like the best option, I'm just worried that I might have similar problems to when I've taken bikes (your bike can fly but your tools can't)?
Chris