Why become a member? ×

Fretboard knowledge

AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='498876' date='May 27 2009, 03:24 PM']I know you are probably right..but I'm being very careful about overstretching without knowing how...as you said....it's better to err on the side of caution.

Incidentally...I moved the height of my bass earlier in the week and it has made a MASSIVE difference to my left hand dexterity but now killing my left shoulder! I was in the studio for 4 hours on Sunday evening with a band that does not do breaks..so we pretty much played solid for the whole time. Next day my shoulder and the muscle in the left side on the middle of my back was well aching!

It's really quite amazing what a difference just a few small adjustments can make. The other thing is now my wrist is bent a lot more. There is so much conflicting advice regarding the correct wrist position. But for sure, having the left wrist bent more certainly has improved my reach. Ha, but at what cost, I'm sure I'll find out next week![/quote]

then may i recommend one of these [url="http://www.comfortstrapp.com/"]http://www.comfortstrapp.com/[/url]

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='498873' date='May 27 2009, 03:23 PM']slow and steady wins the race. practice consistently and you'll see the improvement soon enough :)

you must have the biggest small hands around mate if you've got a stretch like that!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, that's a 5 fret reach!

I think I better take my Mum's advice.

Around Christmas time, when I told her I was about to buy a bass, the response was "no dear, that's for a man, get a guitar instead".

Priceless.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='498873' date='May 27 2009, 03:23 PM']slow and steady wins the race. practice consistently and you'll see the improvement soon enough :)

you must have the biggest small hands around mate if you've got a stretch like that!! :lol:[/quote]

Not really, I just learnt how to do it.

Hold you left hand in an open relaxed position. Keeping you index finger pointing straight pull you pinky toward your thumb, it doesnt hurt, its all really relaxed, but thats a huge distance on a bass neck between tip of index and tip of pinky as the pinky comes in towards your thumb at such an angle as to increase the distance to the index tip. Now close your thumb in toward your relaxed middle finger and with the slightest curve to your index finger you can fret both notes (fret 1 and fret 5)

This is impossible to really describe, but thats what my stretching is based upon, and I really dont have huuuge hands, I have very medium possibly slightly small hands for a bloke (I'm only 5'7 and 3/4" (dont forget the 3/4"!!) tall. Note my wrist is not bent (overly) to do the reach cos my bass is high enough.

Now I have a 5 I dont really go in for gymnastics like this (cos I can play the same notes further up the neck). PLus I'm old and decrepit :rolleyes:

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='498882' date='May 27 2009, 03:28 PM']then may i recommend one of these [url="http://www.comfortstrapp.com/"]http://www.comfortstrapp.com/[/url][/quote]

+1 they are nice, and you already have a neoprene fetish, so it'll be right at home :)

If you have trouble with using one finger per fret in the lower positions,I'd suggest using a more double bass-like fingering
of 1,2,4 over 3 frets. Sure you can practice stretching exercises,but you can also risk damaging your hand.
I generally use one finger per fret from about the 5th fret upwards-I can do it,no problem,on the lower frets but find it more comfortable
to use 1,2,4.

Back to the opening post-I can name every note on the board easily due to years of practice and doing reading gigs,but it is
now at the point where I don't have to think about it. Therefor,I can play scales and patterns in two or three different positions,depending
on my position on the neck. Once you learn the neck completely it opens up a whole new world for your playing

[quote name='51m0n' post='498889' date='May 27 2009, 03:34 PM']Not really, I just learnt how to do it.

Hold you left hand in an open relaxed position. Keeping you index finger pointing straight pull you pinky toward your thumb, it doesnt hurt, its all really relaxed, but thats a huge distance on a bass neck between tip of index and tip of pinky as the pinky comes in towards your thumb at such an angle as to increase the distance to the index tip. Now close your thumb in toward your relaxed middle finger and with the slightest curve to your index finger you can fret both notes (fret 1 and fret 5)

This is impossible to really describe, but thats what my stretching is based upon, and I really dont have huuuge hands, I have very medium possibly slightly small hands for a bloke (I'm only 5'7 and 3/4" (dont forget the 3/4"!!) tall. Note my wrist is not bent (overly) to do the reach cos my bass is high enough.

Now I have a 5 I dont really go in for gymnastics like this (cos I can play the same notes further up the neck). Plus I'm old and decrepit :)[/quote]

ahh yes i get it. i can just about do that ;) . my comfortable stretch is 1 - 4 on the B or E of my 6. as you say, gymnastics arn't necessary :rolleyes:

im liking what im hearing on your Myspace btw :lol:

(neoprene fetish) HAHA! :D

[quote name='51m0n' post='498889' date='May 27 2009, 03:34 PM']Not really, I just learnt how to do it.

Now I have a 5 I dont really go in for gymnastics like this (cos I can play the same notes further up the neck). PLus I'm old and decrepit :)[/quote]

Haha!! I just tried that and I could only just about reach the 5 th fret...and I bet my hands are MUCH smaller than yours!

There's no way I'd be making a habit of that across 5 frets though, utter madness for my hand size..that's a HUGE stretch. But it's certainly good for improving the old four fret reach.

How come you are always right!!!!!!

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='498897' date='May 27 2009, 03:38 PM']ahh yes i get it. i can just about do that :rolleyes: . my comfortable stretch is 1 - 4 on the B or E of my 6. as you say, gymnastics arn't necessary :)

im liking what im hearing on your Myspace btw :rolleyes:

(neoprene fetish) HAHA! :lol:[/quote]

1-4 is definitely my comfy stretch, I guess I'm saying I can get another fret if I really have to without hurting myself by using a slightly different technique may be.

Glad you like the myspace stuff, keep listening, you may find you stop liking it so much :D it's been really nice hearing positive comments about the stuff on that page!

Just look at the lady's picture, if that isnt a neoprene fetish I dont what is ;), she'll be the first to admit it too!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='AM1' post='498899' date='May 27 2009, 03:39 PM']Haha!! I just tried that and I could only just about reach the 5 th fret...and I bet my hands are MUCH smaller than yours!

There's no way I'd be making a habit of that across 5 frets though, utter madness for my hand size..that's a HUGE stretch. But it's certainly good for improving the old four fret reach.

How come you are always right!!!!!![/quote]

Well in reality you dont need to ever make that kind of a stretch. But you can actually do it cant you! So there you go!!

And it didnt hurt did it (because you did this slowly and carefully, watching out for pain etc etc).

So, when you play you should have practiced a refined technique whereby this is normal, and you wont hurt yourself, and you will reach 4 frets with ease. Note how that slight curve of your index finger is dampening the ADG strings. Neat that isnt it!

Men prefer women with small hands, its a win all round......

AM1, in all seriousness, now you've changed your strap length (it really should be such that your bass stays at the same height when you are sitting or standing) watch for hunching your back, favouring one shoulder straining your neck against your strap, the strap moving into your neck etc etc.

Make sure your strap is over your shoulder, not your neck etc

Otherwise you will be paying all your GAS dough to an osteopath!

[quote name='51m0n' post='498941' date='May 27 2009, 04:08 PM']AM1, in all seriousness, now you've changed your strap length (it really should be such that your bass stays at the same height when you are sitting or standing) watch for hunching your back, favouring one shoulder straining your neck against your strap, the strap moving into your neck etc etc.

Otherwise you will be paying all your GAS dough to an osteopath![/quote]

+1 bass playing (or any instrument for that matter) should be a pain free experience. i cant recommend the comfort strapp enough AM1. it really helped take some of the pressure off my left shoulder. i had to storten it a little to get the bass to sit high enough but it was one of the best £25 ive spent!

im in agreement with the gentleman. neoprene fetish in progress :)

yeah the myspace stuff is good! i should really hurry up and finish recording the stuff for my own myspace...

[quote name='51m0n' post='498933' date='May 27 2009, 04:02 PM']Just look at the lady's picture, if that isnt a neoprene fetish I dont what is :), she'll be the first to admit it too![/quote]

No, no, no, the black suit is the latex suit.

THIS is a neoprene fetish. Red neoprene...yummy!

[quote name='51m0n' post='498936' date='May 27 2009, 04:05 PM']Well in reality you dont need to ever make that kind of a stretch. But you can actually do it cant you! So there you go!!

And it didnt hurt did it (because you did this slowly and carefully, watching out for pain etc etc).

So, when you play you should have practiced a refined technique whereby this is normal, and you wont hurt yourself, and you will reach 4 frets with ease. Note how that slight curve of your index finger is dampening the ADG strings. Neat that isnt it![/quote]

I noticed the dampening - that's amazing!

I definitely had my bass too low before.

[quote name='51m0n' post='498936' date='May 27 2009, 04:05 PM']Men prefer women with small hands, its a win all round......[/quote]

Soooo predictable :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='498941' date='May 27 2009, 04:08 PM']AM1, in all seriousness, now you've changed your strap length (it really should be such that your bass stays at the same height when you are sitting or standing) watch for hunching your back, favouring one shoulder straining your neck against your strap, the strap moving into your neck etc etc.

Otherwise you will be paying all your GAS dough to an osteopath![/quote]

I don't understand how I can play for hours with my bass low but when I raise it up, my shoulder is well throbbing really quickly!

And yeah, just been flogging stuff to indulge my GAS, in a relentless, tone chasing crusade. :)

[quote name='AM1' post='498961' date='May 27 2009, 04:24 PM']I don't understand how I can play for hours with my bass low but when I raise it up, my shoulder is well throbbing really quickly!

And yeah, just been flogging stuff to indulge my GAS, in a relentless, tone chasing crusade. :)[/quote]

Its a shift in what your body has become used to. If things are still sh1t after a while, consider a dare strap.

No, I won't buy that rebreather off you - not unless it comes with some proper batteries at least.

[quote name='AM1' post='498948' date='May 27 2009, 04:16 PM']No, no, no, the black suit is the latex suit.

THIS is a neoprene fetish. Red neoprene...yummy![/quote]

Crikey!

Latex and neoprene (picks himself up off floor).... .... I think I banged my head.... :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='498892' date='May 27 2009, 03:36 PM']If you have trouble with using one finger per fret in the lower positions,I'd suggest using a more double bass-like fingering
of 1,2,4 over 3 frets. Sure you can practice stretching exercises,but you can also risk damaging your hand.
I generally use one finger per fret from about the 5th fret upwards-I can do it,no problem,on the lower frets but find it more comfortable
to use 1,2,4.[/quote]

Hi

Thanks for your input.

I do use 1,2,4 a lot and also 1,4 across frets 1 and 3 when I can, I don't see the point in unnecessary stretches. The whole 1 finger per fret thing is a topic in itself!

[quote name='Doddy' post='498892' date='May 27 2009, 03:36 PM']Back to the opening post-I can name every note on the board easily due to years of practice and doing reading gigs,but it is now at the point where I don't have to think about it. Therefor,I can play scales and patterns in two or three different positions,depending on my position on the neck. [b]Once you learn the neck completely it opens up a whole new world for your playing
[/b][/quote]

I suspected that to be the case. I think you can get by, doing what I'm currently doing...but there's a big difference between getting by and getting great!

[quote name='AM1' post='498961' date='May 27 2009, 04:24 PM']I don't understand how I can play for hours with my bass low but when I raise it up, my shoulder is well throbbing really quickly!

And yeah, just been flogging stuff to indulge my GAS, in a relentless, tone chasing crusade. :)[/quote]

Your are probably overcompensating, and have been using more muscular strength than letting the bass rest against you relaxd skeletal posture. Regular breaks (even just take the thing off and stretch your shoulders out for 2 minutes) are required...

[quote name='51m0n' post='498969' date='May 27 2009, 04:29 PM']Crikey!

Latex and neoprene (picks himself up off floor).... .... I think I banged my head.... :)[/quote]

That's just mere titillation. Anything that can be bought in Ann Summers is a joke.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='498968' date='May 27 2009, 04:29 PM']Its a shift in what your body has become used to. If things are still sh1t after a while, consider a dare strap.

No, I won't buy that rebreather off you - not unless it comes with some proper batteries at least.[/quote]

Yeah, it's trial and error.

I do have a comfort strap but it's too short....so if any Mark King fans want to swap a small for medium....drop me a PM!

Ha, every rebreather will find it's own unique ways to try and kill you. I call this one, KATO.

However, I feel that I could tempt you to part with the 4 stringer for some quality diving equipment (not home build!).

[quote name='AM1' post='498978' date='May 27 2009, 04:34 PM']However, I feel that I could tempt you to part with the 4 stringer for some quality diving equipment (not home build!).[/quote]

Ouch. You hit where it hurt...

So what is it about the Cairnes bass you like so much?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='498975' date='May 27 2009, 04:32 PM']That's just mere titillation. Anything that can be bought in Ann Summers is a joke.[/quote]

Ann Summers sells scuba gear?!?!

Uh, I'm lost, what was my original topic again. Hehe!

:)