Why become a member? ×

Budget Player Looking for Sound Advice

V4lve

Hey. Being a budget kind of person (and a rather mediocre player) I am getting gas for another cheap bass (to go with my Tanglewood Rebel). Having played a few squire, yamaha cheapos etc I have discovered alarmingly I rather like the simple passive sound of a Cort Curbow. Am wondering if there is a cheaper way of getting the same sound.

Edited by V4lve

Curbows aren't that expensive, are they?

There was a Tanglewood Curbow (which seemed identical to my Cort except for the finish) for sale on this forum not too long ago. I don't recall seeing it go so it might still be available if you search.

Edit: I think it was under or around two hundred squid.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='496827' date='May 24 2009, 08:54 PM']Curbows aren't that expensive, are they?

There was a Tanglewood Curbow (which seemed identical to my Cort except for the finish) for sale on this forum not too long ago. I don't recall seeing it go so it might still be available if you search.

Edit: I think it was under or around two hundred squid.[/quote]

Ta but a bit worried about apparent quality issues with the Curbows and am not interested in all the active stuff. Also, I tried a BB514 and liked it but preferred the Curbow sound

[quote name='V4lve' post='497100' date='May 25 2009, 09:59 AM']Ta but a bit worried about apparent quality issues with the Curbows[/quote]
???

Well I can only speak for mine but it's my main bass - played for at least two hours every day since I bought it and I've not noticed anything at all wrong.

I'm not sure what else would have that sound. Anything else have a luthite body, ebanol fretboard and Bartolini pickups?

Edit: Could take a look at the Ibanez Ergodyne range... but I don't know if they're just active. Luthite bodies on the older models, wood on the newer ones. I don't think you'd get the same pickups or the ebanol neck but could be worth a shot.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='497252' date='May 25 2009, 01:25 PM']are either of the Curbows passive? I thought they were active. I've played a few and I like them[/quote]
I think they're all active.

Edit: Although you do see some sites listing them as Bartolini passive pickups running in to an active circuit.

Edited by Eight

Squiers and Yamahas are great for the price, and hold their value well. I'd recommend them over Curbow/Tanglewood.

Also try the thread below. It's a Bass Collection SB320 from the 90s - they're great basses, though not passive.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50147"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50147[/url]