Why become a member? ×

Explain Rockbass to me , please

markdavid

Hi all ,

Was hoping somebody could help me with this , ive always quite liked the look of the Warwick Rockbass range , however i've never really understood where they fit in to the bass market. My understanding is that Rockbass is to Warwick what Squier is to Fender , however looking at the Rockbass basses some of the models ive seen have been in the £400 region , thats close to MIM Fender territory pricewise and you would not expect to see a Squier for that much, someone explain this to me please, thanks

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' post='496318' date='May 23 2009, 08:13 PM']... My understanding is that Rockbass is to Warwick what Squier is to Fender , however looking at the Rockbass basses some of the models ive seen have been in the £400 region , thats close to MIM Fender territory pricewise and you would not expect to see a Squier for that much ...[/quote]

It's a diffusion range - most usually produced under license by a third-party manufacturer. The most common reason for the arrangement is financial exploitation of copyrights, designs and patents. So it's exactly what Squier is to Fender, what OLP is to MusicMan, what Tribute is to G&L, etc. It's got nothing to do with end-user price point per se.

[quote name='noelk27' post='496408' date='May 23 2009, 11:21 PM']It's a diffusion range - most usually produced under license by a third-party manufacturer. The most common reason for the arrangement is financial exploitation of copyrights, designs and patents. So it's exactly what Squier is to Fender, what OLP is to MusicMan, what Tribute is to G&L, etc. It's got nothing to do with end-user price point per se.[/quote]

More like Tribute to G&L than those others as Rockbass's are not cheap in comparison to Squier and OLP.
They are more middle of the road than beginner.

[quote name='Kongo' post='496415' date='May 23 2009, 11:29 PM']Rockbass's are not cheap in comparison to Squier and OLP.
They are more middle of the road than beginner.[/quote]

that was exactly what I was getting at regarding the pricing of these basses

[quote name='markdavid' post='496457' date='May 24 2009, 03:15 AM']that was exactly what I was getting at regarding the pricing of these basses[/quote]

Don't get hung up on comparing prices. It is as pointed out by 'noelk27' that it is just a satellite brand and price point has nothing to do with it. You could argue that the Sadowsky Metro series are to Sadowsky NYC, what Squier are to Fender... how can a Metro bass now cost nearly £2000?

If a Rockbass appeals to you then pick it up, play it, and ask yourself does it justify the price tag? You will of course have to draw comparison with other similar priced basses no matter what the name on the headstock or the place that the bass falls into in the companies pricing structure. :)