Why become a member? ×

Acoustic for under £150?

waynepunkdude

I had a Crafter last year. Used it live on several occasions and it was really good. Fed back on my amp but it has a phase switch to overcome that. Absolute bargain. Really nice playing bass

Other ones that may fall into your price brackets are Epiphone El Capitains and possibly second hand Fender BG whatevers. I'd probably avoid all no name stuff as you want something that you can actually play and not have an action like Robin Hood's straightest bow

Edited by Delberthot

How bout this one? Comes with a hard case, near mint cond. I have flats on it at present. Sounds great. I paid £235 3 years ago. Just hangs on a wall now. Make is "Merica" Can get a fairly nice upright sort of tone with a tweak here and there. Nice low action.

I got back into bass playing after a few years gap when I bought an Artisan acoustic for (I think £148), After a couple of months I was well into bass playing but hacked off with the artisan. It had a 30" scale , the strings always felt slack, the tuning wasn't that stable, the tone and volume of the E string was radicaly different to the other strings. It did have a fairly cutting sound if a bit clanky and good acoustic volume.
Last october I bought an Ibanez AEB? they were special offer at £169-problem solved. 32" scale, even tone , sounds good with pic , fingers or slap (old one sounded tinny with a pic) built in tuner ,I rave about it at every oportunity.
I've tried :
Echo- good, more harsh sounding that the Ibanez
Stagg ovation style- sound like a long dead doornail.
Ashton- tried it a long time ago , liked it.
I tried some acoustics about ten years ago, the Fender was by far the best then.
I will post a more comprehensive review of the Ibanez when I have time, there are almost no reviews of acoustics (that I could find).

I tried the Fenders in a shop in Brighton, they had two. One had a natural finish , the other had a heavy black laquer (like the Ibanez) the tone of the black one was noticeably richer , warmer , darker and I think louder than the natural.
The Ibanez also uses two AA batteries in the pre-amp rather than the more usual 9v, they seem to last forever, the low cost of the batteries does save the price of a pint every six months or so.