Why become a member? ×

Singers and Song Lyrics

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Rexes hollow - I actually sing to add the pitch - I do the high bits or solo the songs that are just higher than the singer does (such as feel it still, or our current learning, you should be dancing).  Or just add the harmonies.

Strangely, we do 'who knew' as it was a requested song at a wedding, and we enjoyed doing it (and it went down well).

You Should be Dancing! Now that one is high. Great floor filler though.

17 hours ago, asingardenof said:

the song choices for talent shows like The Voice, where someone can be singing a heartrending song about loss and despair

I often find lyrics to be trite and cliched nonsense, though this lady has a proper understanding of how these things should be treated...

I've been singing in bands since 1981. I've never bothered with the meaning of the lyrics. Some songs are nonsense, Borap for example.

But about 17 maybe 18 years ago I started singing singing 'The Pretender' by The Foos Fighters.

I had been in a difficult relationship (she was married BIG MISTAKE, I was recently divorced) and it had ended, but she hid so much stuff, told so many lies to so many people, that I felt this song had been written for me.

When I sang it, I really went for it and I got quite a lot of comments about how I delivered it. 'you looked like you were living it' someone said to me at a gig. (I did live it)

since then, I have always looked at the words in a different way and really put myself into the songs. I properly enjoy getting into the characters, it's all part of the show.

• Like 3

I often have to explain the meaning of some lyrics to our singer. He's great, but he just doesn't get into what the lyrics are about, the stories in the songs, etc. I accept it's just the way some people are, but they're missing a whole new world IMO.  

• Like 2