Why become a member? ×

NBD Sire V7 fretless 5

Alexx

Posted (edited)

Having wanted a fretless since borrowing a mate's acoustic for a couple of months, and being 5-curious as well I thought I'd dive right in and get both in one. Popped a bid on this and it came good, decent price I think, with a case thrown in. Got it a couple of days ago. 

So far, so impressed. It's mint, hard to believe it's been played before. Not as heavy as I expected, although the neck does dive a bit. It's really lovely to play, tweaked the set up and got the action very low. I've found it takes a bit of a mental shift, both in terms of starting to think about the options the B string provides, as well as the confidence to play without eyeballing my left hand. I'm hoping that it will help me train my ears a bit. 

The preamp and knob config is more complicated than I'm used to so still got some experimenting to do. But it seems to chuck out a great range of tones and overall the best thing about it is the sound. I've spent ages just widdling and making wonderful noises. 

Anyway, very happy with this, lovely bit of kit. 

Edit: I realise I should have taken the pic from a different angle given how these headstocks seem to be unpopular! 

20240521_171833.jpg

Edited by Alexx
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Alexx said:

Not as heavy as I expected, although the neck does dive a bit.

Edit: I realise I should have taken the pic from a different angle given how these headstocks seem to be unpopular! 

Well, there's a solution to that. Two solutions, but I won't mention the guillotine one. Convert it to a 3+2 headstock and put licensed Hipshot Ultralight tuners on it. Drilling the hole somewhere round the "c" should do it. Alternatively, just go with the Hipshots.

I'd love to get a four string one of these to try out, really like the finish on the fretboard and with that active EQ it must be incredible. I'm a big fan of the Sire jazz basses having owned two. Get a decent thick strap and the neck dive shouldn't be an issue. But if you play a four hour gig in a sweaty club in Amsterdam with this over your shoulder you'll end the night feeling like one leg is much shorter than the other!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I'd love to get a four string one of these to try out, really like the finish on the fretboard and with that active EQ it must be incredible. I'm a big fan of the Sire jazz basses having owned two. Get a decent thick strap and the neck dive shouldn't be an issue. But if you play a four hour gig in a sweaty club in Amsterdam with this over your shoulder you'll end the night feeling like one leg is much shorter than the other!!

I sold my Gen1 V7 5er after a shoulder injury, that thing was 11.6lb! Great bass though, a couple of mates have more recent ones which are much lighter than mine was.

EDIT: The bass didn't cause the injury btw!

Edited by lemmywinks

8 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

The preamp is ace, it can do woody and delicate right through to fulsome beefy bass. I love it. 

• Like 1