Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here played gigs with miserable/depressing songs on the playlist

On 20/05/2024 at 09:38, Cat Burrito said:

Over the last few years I have been part of a gothic duo that can certainly share some experience here. We operate on two levels; there is the electric band with original material that can generally slot in to any indie or rock bill on that circuit, no issues. I say no issues, getting regular slots is a constant challenge but this seems to be standard with 50yr olds playing original material. 

Then there is the acoustic duo that does songs by The Cure, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus etc and that goes out on the covers circuit. It's not been without challenges and the answer varies from venue to venue. Worst scenario was clearing an entire village pub opening with Joy Division's "New Dawn Fades" once (damn our belligerence but we have usually opened with it every time since to prove a point!). However, there is an appetite for this sort of music. We've found some venues book us, like us but don't want us to rebook us too soon. There have been a few festivals where I see the same old bands (friends of ours) are playing to an often lesser standard but they are playing all the well trodden favourites. I get it and accept it. At the weekend there was a massive beer festival and we looked like we'd been deliberately side stepped. I joke that we are like the weird cousin in the attic that nobody dares to mention. 

I think our strength is that 1) we mean it and genuinely care about the music we play, and 2) we use a lot of gentle humour, sometimes self-mocking, between songs which always goes down well. The other strength is that we stand out locally because there is nobody else doing what we do. That said, I've noticed a few of the more upbeat Cure songs have slipped into the sets of some of the other local bands since we started. There's a big difference between banging out Friday I'm in Love compared to Cold from Seventeen Seconds. 

Acoustic Bauhaus? Sign me up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Playing anything by Nickleback is extremely depressing but we did Rockstar anyway.  The punters clearly enjoyed it more than I did.

When September Ends by Green Day is pretty slow, as is Boulevard of Broken Dreams, but both went down well until I managed to convince the band to switch to When I come Around which went down better.

Hedonism by Skunk Anansie is slow and a pretty depressing song if you listen to the lyrics but used to get a good reaction - our singist did sing it particularly well though.

Under the Bridge?

Don't Look Back in Anger.

None of them killed the set.  We always thought it was nice to hit them with something quite hard, then soften it up a bit before going all out at the end.

19 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

To an extent, yes. You have to keep the crowd happy. But also you have to enjoy what you play. One of the things I looked for in my current band is that the setlist isn’t a carbon copy of every other covers band’s setlist. 

Yeah we play Guns N Roses, but not sweet child o’ mine. Yeah we play Green Day but not Basket Case.

The band has to be interested and invested in the songs they play - not simply acing as a playlist chosen by the punters. 

This, 100%.  There are a million bands out there who play all the standards; I really enjoy not being in any of them.

• Like 3

On 21/05/2024 at 18:26, EssexBuccaneer said:

To an extent, yes. You have to keep the crowd happy. But also you have to enjoy what you play. One of the things I looked for in my current band is that the setlist isn’t a carbon copy of every other covers band’s setlist. 

Yeah we play Guns N Roses, but not sweet child o’ mine. Yeah we play Green Day but not Basket Case.

The band has to be interested and invested in the songs they play - not simply acing as a playlist chosen by the punters. 

For those of us in this for the money and consistent bookings it's really about keeping the crowd happy playing what they want to hear.  If we played what I like to play, the place would be empty.

Daryl

On 22/05/2024 at 13:37, Jackroadkill said:

This, 100%.  There are a million bands out there who play all the standards; I really enjoy not being in any of them.

While we have a thriving local music scene you have to play classic rock standards. Those are the bands playing the high pay high profile gigs. All other bands are for those that don't want or need the money and only want to gig occasionally. 

That's the way it is here. I can't speak for other areas 

Daryl

• Like 1