Why become a member? ×

Dyslexia and fretboard...

So, does anyone else have dyslexia? I do with reading and writing letters/words, but am starting to wonder if it also applies to notes on the fretboard? It would be a great excuse as to why I can’t keep track of or remember the names of notes! Lol 🤪🙃🤣

I have a bit of dyslexia but was only tested in later life. I think the issue is trying to learn everything at once. My advice is take it a piece at a time and learn just a few lower notes across a couple of strings or some notes on one string. Get comfortable with those and then build up slowly. Literally have a fair few practices where you are just concentrating on the few notes you have learned. The rest will come but just slow it down rather than overloading yourself. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Yes, formally diagnosed as an adult.  It doesn't seem to cause me problems remembering the fretboard, but despite more than 40 years of practice and formal lessons I've never been able to progress to being fully fluent at reading music.

I can read a piece and work it out in due course, but never bee able to sight read and play a piece straight off the page.  I've suspected dyslexia may be an issue there but have no proof.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Yes, formally diagnosed as an adult.  It doesn't seem to cause me problems remembering the fretboard, but despite more than 40 years of practice and formal lessons I've never been able to progress to being fully fluent at reading music.

I can read a piece and work it out in due course, but never bee able to sight read and play a piece straight off the page.  I've suspected dyslexia may be an issue there but have no proof.

Sight reading with no prior knowledge of the piece is very very hard. Classical players will spend months (if not years) learning pieces and still need the music.

I wouldn’t beat yourself up about it!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've been trying for 40+ years! 🤣 Ill get there one day.

I can't get my head around tab. I can see what it is and intellectually understand how it works, but simply can't make head nor tail of it when I try to read it.  I think that my be dyslexia at play.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

My daughter is dyslexic and knows the notes on her fret board. I am not dyslexic and don't know them. 

My excuse is I use so many different tunings they're always in different places. It's rarely a problem. 

• Like 1