Why become a member? ×

Moon mij basses…wow

soulstar89

I went to the bass gallery to get some tlc sone with my bass. 

I played at least 8 fender p basses. Two from Japan the rest from the 70’s. Out of the 8 1 mij a pb-62 sounded nice but the neck was too shallow for me. The other a 73 which was nice until. Went upstairs and tired a moon gm4!

Didnt like the colour but my days was it amazing to play. Had a telecaster neck but it felt so smooth to play. Didn’t feel massive at all. I was able to play pocket funk real nice. 

This bass was a custom order. Has anyone played ,owned or owes a moon p bass?

It really made me think are fenders really that good? I normally have a “get to know you period” before I feel comfortable. This moon and a Larry Graham jazz from moon didn’t have that at all. 

• Like 1

What can I say?, except that I completely agree!

If only they were a teeny bit lighter, then all would be perfect. Very underrated builder with top notch Japanese quality.

The clue to your question is in my user name.

• Like 1

I haven't played Moon (yet) but have owned (and still own) quite a few other niche Japanese brands and, in my experience, they're generally a substantial improvement on your average big F (USA, MIJ, old and new ones which I no longer own) in every aspect. Forget the name on the headstock, trust your hands and your ears.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

What can I say?, except that I completely agree!

If only they were a teeny bit lighter, then all would be perfect. Very underrated builder with top notch Japanese quality.

The clue to your question is in my user name.

wow yes you really have a rack of moon basses. 

I done more digging I played the groove master. Compared to my law suit Yamaha p bass the moon felt light. It was just so refined. 

What’s a shame is that due to business moving more towards online people don’t get to try different brands. I also tried the G&L 1000 from the 80’s. It was really nice also.

I have to put a search on moon basses in the bay and reverb now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I haven't played Moon (yet) but have owned (and still own) quite a few other niche Japanese brands and, in my experience, they're generally a substantial improvement on your average big F (USA, MIJ, old and new ones which I no longer own) in every aspect. Forget the name on the headstock, trust your hands and your ears.

I definitely see that. I will have to search if the uk or EU have distributors of these Japanese brands. 

On trusting your hands and ears, I couldn’t agree more. 

In continental Europe I believe Bassfreaks is a dealer, should you be looking at new examples.

You might also consider a direct import of a second hand example. Ishibashi often has several examples available and the prices end up slightly cheaper after customs charges etc. than those available in Europe - if you can find them.

Good luck with your search. Enjoy!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

In continental Europe I believe Bassfreaks is a dealer, should you be looking at new examples.

You might also consider a direct import of a second hand example. Ishibashi often has several examples available and the prices end up slightly cheaper after customs charges etc. than those available in Europe - if you can find them.

Good luck with your search. Enjoy!

Cheers for that. I’ll have a look those sites.