Why become a member? ×

Best strings for a fretted Wal bass.

They would be these strings I have here. In my house.

Please dispatch your Wal in a prompt manner.

;)

Lovely bass.

One of my pals had the exact same bass, but all he used was the Rotosound Swing bass 66.

It sounded great.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They were designed in the 1970s came to our attention in the 80s when Rotosound Round wounds were the string of the day. Most recordings on a Wal were made with them on and that's how their reputation was forged.... however, times change and since Pinos flat wound bass playing influenced Voodoo album appeared, over 20 years ago, flats seem to be the go to and won't chew the frets or neck up as much....love flats, tapes and rounds on my basses ....= buy 3 Wals 🤣🤣🤣👍

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MM Stingray 62 said:

If I could go back a few years I wish I had done exactly that.

Me too...I have one I bought in 1985 with a fibreglass cad and flightcase. Gigged it lots then bought a Jazz in 1997 and virtually retired it - I've left it to an ex-girlfriend my will 🤣🤣🤣

Asking what strings to use is like asking how you should sound. Totally up to you. Double bass players spend hundreds, sometimes thousands establishing which strings work for them (and unlike the norm with electric bass, that can require strings from different sets, manufacturers, and even materials at one and the same time). Given the value of your (lovely) bass, some experimentation is worth the cost, as well as being a journey in itself 👍 

• Like 1