Why become a member? ×

Reduced Image File Size

ezbass

Question

Why are my uploaded images being reduced in size, once posted? I uploaded a 5.8MB image but, when posted, it has been reduced to 1.6MB. I have plenty of space in my attachment allocation. 

Edited by ezbass

6 answers to this question

Probably because no-one on a mobile device wants to waste time and bandwidth downloading huge images that their screen is too small to display in full resolution anyway.

If you really want to post enormous photos use an external image host.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't know, there is no image compression in use on the site, although the images are now on cloudflare, so maybe they have something, unless whatever you were uploading it with has compression

Straight from my Mac. The file loads and shows as the original size, but once I hit post, it reduces in size. 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If you really want to post enormous photos use an external image host.

It’s for the photo comp, everyone else’s seem fine and they’re (for the most part) attaching directly.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Did you copy in place with the same name or frame as the last picture? Maybe there is something there. Try uploading it as a second post with a different name and see if it does anything different

I’ve tried posting it in a different post, I’ve tried it using my phone, I’ve tried a different browser, same result :( .