Why become a member? ×

Turbosound subwoofer (500W) + 2 bass cabs @ 4 ohm (passive)

bassus_play

Hi all,

Wonder if someone else had this brilliant ideea 😁

I want to use a Turbosound suboofer as main amp, and on top of it to use two bass cabs (the sub has two outpusts, 250W @ 4 ohm), I was thinking about Hartke HD112.

Of course, I have to have a preamp before that in the signal chain, or at least a mixing console.

Anyone?

That would only work if the sub has a full range output to feed the other cab(s). If not, all you would get is very low end - around 120hz and below - from both. The sub would also need level controls on the outputs, so you can balance the sub and full range cab(s).

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

That would only work if the sub has a full range output to feed the other cab(s). If not, all you would get is very low end - around 120hz and below - from both. The sub would also need level controls on the outputs, so you can balance the sub and full range cab(s).

It has two outputs for passive speakers, as I mentioned in the  post. No control over them though, or at least I did not find any setting in the digital menu.

Edited by bassus_play
content

3 hours ago, bassus_play said:

It has two outputs for passive speakers, as I mentioned in the  post. No control over them though, or at least I did not find any setting in the digital menu.

Your main concern is whether the output is a subwoofer or full range signal. If it is a sub only signal - from around 120hz down - all you will get are the very low frequencies, which won't work.

Sub woofers are more aimed a PA use. Their job is to reproduce low frequency content from a PA source. They do NOT make good amplifiers for bass guitar. A lot of your harmonics would be lost so too the timbre of your instrument. You're no where near the first to have this idea, not even close. If it was such a good idea don't you think that more players would br doing so??

Looking at the input specifications for Turbosound subs, they are typically

45Hz - 150Hz +- 3dB

38Hz - 200Hz -10dB

So anything above that range (ie all the important mids) will be lost. Satellite outputs are just more subs.

• Like 2

On 26/03/2024 at 19:23, BassmanPaul said:

You're no where near the first to have this idea, not even close. If it was such a good idea don't you think that more players would br doing so??

I thought so, I was just joking about being the first with this ideea.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2024 at 12:51, bassus_play said:

Hi all,

Wonder if someone else had this brilliant ideea 😁

I want to use a Turbosound suboofer as main amp, and on top of it to use two bass cabs (the sub has two outpusts, 250W @ 4 ohm), I was thinking about Hartke HD112.

Of course, I have to have a preamp before that in the signal chain, or at least a mixing console.

Anyone?

I don't think people are reading your post properly. It's unusual to get a sub with power amps for passive tops but not unknown. It is after all what the subs in a lot of the current ' stick' PA systems like the Bose and Evox J8 do. Without knowing which model your cab is I can't be certain but it sounds like it is designed to be a stereo PA system with a single sub. You should be able to use it with bass with the two passive satellites or even with one. It should have a way of adjusting the realtive volume of the tops and the subs but certainly that is something to check before you buy/go ahead.

As a system it seems a bit over the top, though it would double as PA for your band. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a couple of 12's for my bass rig. there is another problem that in many live situations you don't need the lower frequencies coming out of your bass rig, I often filter the bass at 50Hz to allow the drums some space and to clean up the bass in a resonant room. However I've tried playing bass through pretty much every speaker I've owned and I've no idea what sort of music you will play so if you don't mind carrying three boxes where one will do and this isn't too expensive it might be fun to try