Why become a member? ×

What fretless does Randy H Taylor play???

bubinga5

Just wondered if anyone knew what fretless Randy play's on Tribes Vibes and Scribes..this has been my holy grail album for a long time, i know he has played Moons, Sei's, Jazzez, Fender's etc. But would love to know what fretless he plays here....Magnificent playing anyway..

I was lucky enough to talk to Bluey about a month ago with Jim Mullen (a fantastic scottish jazz guitar man from the Citrus Sun album) and they said Randy was the best bass player (in terms of a bass players musical vision), they had ever played with....I asked them what he played these days, and the said he was playing a Stingray 5 the last time they saw him play...

The solo (if you like this stuff) on Magnetic Ocean is , IMHO,better than any Julian Crampton, Meshell, Marcus Miller, Victor, or any musical bass playing solo ive ever heard...obviously Randy had to think this bass line over, ..but what an amazing piece of playing..He really is the most musical bass player ive ever heard...i love his slide double stops and his digging in is so tastefull, in this tune.......If you love fretless bass playing of any genre..!!!, this i so cool..

may seem dated to some, but this is the music i spent my youth listening to and Randy is the man. Im gonna say he's playing a custom of some kind?

Even if you dont love Jazz/funk/Groove etc.l...You need to listen to this album for the bass.its supreme...the best fretless bass ive ever heard...Up there and beyond with Pino for pure groove and timing..

Sorry i cant bring up a link..look it up.

'Need to Know' is a masterclass in JazzFunk bass playing..Awsome..

Randy is an awesome bass player for sure. One of my favourites. No idea what fretless he used though.

Julian Crampton is an awesome player as well though, and did Incognito justice in filling Randy's shoes.

thisnameistaken, listen to albums "100 and Rising", "who needs love", Life, Stranger than Fiction" to get you started. I have them all personally - but those are a few of my favourites.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='489015' date='May 15 2009, 04:07 PM']I could never get into Incognito. I liked Galliano a lot, but never thought Incognito came across very well on record. Same with JTQ - their records always seemed a bit flat.

Have to give them another go.[/quote]?? :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='490102' date='May 16 2009, 08:11 PM']For me Tribes Vibes and scribes, Beneath the surface, Positivity, are there best,,Tales from the Beach is awsome too..[/quote]

Yeh, those as well! :)

I could have put them all down to be honest!

[quote name='Simon' post='490083' date='May 16 2009, 07:56 PM']Randy is an awesome bass player for sure. One of my favourites. No idea what fretless he used though.

Julian Crampton is an awesome player as well though, and did Incognito justice in filling Randy's shoes.

thisnameistaken, listen to albums "100 and Rising", "who needs love", Life, Stranger than Fiction" to get you started. I have them all personally - but those are a few of my favourites.[/quote]

I'm into my jazzy/funky house music too though I've never been a huge Incognito fan but this all sounds good, I'm a Masters At Work fan too as Gene Perez is one of THE all time great studio funkateers of the last ten years, I don't know much about him but he ca make the busiest line groove like crazy and he flies all over the place.

My other recommendation for great, inspiring grooves, to jam along to is Bah Samba, a really cool Brazilian funk band from Brighton. I think they've gone a bit quiet at the moment but their singer is Alice Russell who has a truly sensational voice, she's a great solo artist too, one of my fave female singers ever in fact! The two Bah Samba albums to look out for are their first one simply called 'Bah Samba' and their fourth album 'Four', see what they did there! Thankully the music is much better than the album titles, 'Four' is a double album packed with a great version of Tania Maria's 'Portuguese Love' and even features the Fat Back Band, it's a killing record.

Cheers

Mike

PS sorry got a bit carried away with the recommendations, I have no idea what fretless RHT uses, next time I'm at the Gallery I'll ask the guys there and see if they know as he;s a regular customer.

Hi Mike, I'm a big fan of Masters at Work too. I have a track on a Latin CD (can't remember the name of it at the moment) but it has the most incredible bass line. The bass is recorded so dirty...fret noise and all! The way it should be! :)