Why become a member? ×

High output 5 string Jazz pickup

doc40hz

I've been using a custom Maruszczyk for my wedding band gig for a few years - 5 string, P/MM config with ability to turn the MM into single coil/series/parallel. 

I've never been happy with the P sound - it's a Delano MVC5 AL. Doesn't sound like a P to me. So i've been trying out various basses./ 

Recently got a Sadowsky metro express which had been upgraded with the VTC and noiseless pickups. THe P pickup sounds great, PJ is fantastic for slap but I cant get a decent bridge pickup sound for the songs that need more of a stringray vibe. I've tried various degrees of blend and solod and boosting the gain but just doesnt do it for me. I really notice it on  "Dont stop believing" where I'd normally have my MM in series and solo'd with a bit of a mid poke.

So...are there any high output 5 string jazz pickups I could drop in to the bridge position?

1 hour ago, itu said:

Which preamp you have? If your blend is just a pot, you could consider Noll Mixpot instead.

It's the sadowsky VTC. Never heard of that Noll Mixpot, will look into it

On 24/03/2024 at 22:27, Paddy777 said:

Dimarzio Ultra Jazz are the highest output jazz pickups I’ve had - fantastic clarity and low end too 

This. I've got one going spare you can have too, if you want. I think they're around £90 new, but you can have mine for a lot less - just PM me if desired.

Pete