Why become a member? ×

Buzzing Speaker Grille

Davy

Hi everyone,

I have an Ashdown 1x15 neo cab that I'm using with an Ashdown ABM 500 head.

It has a buzz at a certain frequency when played at gig volume.

I'm guessing it's not the speaker as I can stop the buzzing by pressing on the grille with my foot.

I've checked all of the screws holding the grille in place and they are all nice and tight.

Other than removing the grille, I'm not sure what next step might be.

Has anyone had this issue before and how did they manage to fix it?

Cheers

It could be the tweeter, I had a similar problem with an Ashdown cab and it was part of the tweeter that was vibrating/buzzing (even though I always switched it off). They changed it for me. Happened on the lower frequencies.

Grilles can rattle for a variety of reasons. Ideally, you need to pinpoint the exact location of the vibration. The most likely source of the problem is around the edge of the grille where it's attached to the supporting batten. The screws could be vibrating against the grille, in which case @alexjbassist's solution would work. It's also possible that the foam strip beneath the grille has disintegrated or isn't damping the grille effectively. You would then need to replace the foam strip. 2mm thick should do the job.

• Thanks 1