Why become a member? ×

Warwick JD Thumb Tuner Problem + replacement

Hello everyone

Today I managed to break one of the tuners of my 1985 JD Thumb fourstring while simply trying to replace the tuning peg ...

I have to replace the whole tuner now but since the bass is from 1985 it uses those old Schaller M4 tuners.

Long story short I would like to replace all 4 tuners with new tuners, or, if possible, get a set or at least one of those old Schaller M4B tuners.

This bass has special angled bushings. The old ones require those old M4 tuners and are made of plastic. So I If I do not find at least one of those old Schaller M4B tuners I have to replace those old bushings with new ones that Warwick sells.

https://shop.warwick.de/en/parts-for-instruments/warwick-spare-parts/machine-heads-parts/16104/warwick-parts-bushing-for-angled-mounted-schaller-m4-machine-heads-post-2018-on-warwick-thumb-84-87-black?c=3532

According to the description of this bushing all new Schaller M4 tuners with a 14mm post diameter will fit. Is that correct?

But do you guys know if other tuners with 14mm post diameter will fit those bushings as well? e.g. Hip Shot Ultralite 3/8"

Alternatively ... does anybody know where I can get at least one of those old Schaller M4B tuners?

Thanks
Dan

PXL_20240321_121050638.jpg

PXL_20230921_082220045~2.jpg

It is probably not as bad as it looks.  Looking at the picture, the worm screw part should wind back in (unless there is damage I am not seeing, e.g. internal). Put the key on without the collar, push the exposed thread back in while winding the key, don't be afraid to push firmly with something like a wooden block against the exposed thread end.. I can't tell you which way to wind by looking at the picture, but it should go back in (experience lol).  You may need to put a coin into the post slot and twist this at the same time to get engagement.  Once it goes back in put the collar etc back on.

If the above does not work then my starting advice would be measure stuff up.  I wanted to replace the 1980s Schaller M4 on one of my basses. I now have a nice set of shiny new M4L 90 Schallers sitting in the bass spares box.  Measure the bushing inner diameter, the Schaller machine outer diameter and  post height. Given the measurements, more informed suggestions should emerge here. 

Edited by 3below
  • Like 1

The problem is that I can not put in the screw that is holding the tuning peg on the tuner in anymore because the part of the tuner is bent and the screw does not get any grip anymore.

PXL_20240321_121050638~2.jpg

It may be that the 'key' (the bit you get hold of) will not go onto the shaft (circled red) far enough for the key screw to engage because the worm screw has disengaged too far?   Another tactic is pliers or mole grips, grab hold of the shaft end, pulls and turn, hopefully the thread winds back in. At that point the collar etc. and the key will all fit correctly.  You may get lucky:)

I'd start by getting the tuner off the bass - however, I think if you rotate the bit that the string goes into clockwise (to loosen the string) it may push the worm gear out more. If so, you could try turning that bit anticlockwise and see if it pushes the shaft that the key goes onto out far enough to be able to thread the screw up.

Get the string off and you should be able to push it back in with your finger, enough for the screw to catch. You won't be able to do it with string tension acting on the gear which is pushing the shaft out.

• Like 1