Why become a member? ×

Auto generation of tags in basses for sale section?

tauzero

Question

Searching the basses for sale section for categories of bass is a rather hit and miss affair. Tags are very rarely used and inconsistent in format when they are used. I wondered if it would be possible to auto-generate tags for general categories by having options when listing a bass, eg. number of strings, fretted/fretless, headed/headless, with "Other" options available for oddities like the Ibanez Ashula or double necks.

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Doubt it is possible to auto generate those tags (well, practical, of course it is possible) for the same reason that they are hard to search for, there is no consistent naming of things.

What I'm thinking of is when selling a bass, there's a form that gives options for number of strings, fretted/fretless, headed/headless, and a tag in a standard format is generated for each where there's an option selected.

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The form is probably doable, but it still relies on people filling it in properly

If it has "Number of strings" and a drop-down with the numbers 4-7 and "Other", and a "Fretted?" with yes and no radio buttons, and "Headed?" with yes and no buttons, it should be fairly simple to fill in. HTML allows all those. Would you want to buy a bass from someone who couldn't manage to fill that in properly?

• Haha 2

I kind of agree, searching on the market place has been a little too reliant on improvised search terms.  But I have no experience with coding or insight into what is possible.  The market place would be exempt from any software updates as it's a standalone custom module.