Why become a member? ×

Help with Encore PBass neck

Hi all.

I have a Encore P Bass (from sometime around 2004). It has high sentimental value and I want to make it playable again.

It was stored by a friend of mine for a few years and sadly the metal parts including Truss rod have rusted.

So I need to replace the neck however it seems to have a heel of around 60mm.

So looking for any advice around this, is it worth buying official fender and sanding the body?

Should I buy a squier/Harley Benton and take neck from that and fit it?

I know financially it doesn't make sense but doing it anyway!

Edited by JoeBoyd
  • Like 1

Hi all.

I have a Encore P Bass (from sometime around 2004). It has high sentimental value and I want to make it playable again.

It was stored by a friend of mine for a few years and sadly the metal parts including Truss rod have rusted.

So I need to replace the neck however it seems to have a heel of around 60mm.

So looking for any advice around this, is it worth buying official fender and sanding the body?

I know financially it doesn't make sense but doing it anyway!

Why not see if the truss rod can be replaced by a local luthier/tech? I doubt the work would cost more than buying a brand new Fender neck and it would mean you wouldn't need to sand the heel down to fit the body.

1 minute ago, gjones said:

Why not see if the truss rod can be replaced by a local luthier/tech? I doubt the work would cost more than buying a brand new Fender neck and it would mean you wouldn't need to sand the heel down to fit the body.

Yeah it was a thought but I live in rural Finland now. No luthier anywhere near and they would charge an arm, two legs and my first born over here.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Joe.

I put a Yamaha neck on an Encore body.  A bit of fettling and careful repositioning of the bridge helped make a fun instrument.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JoeBoyd said:

Hi all.

So I need to replace the neck however it seems to have a heel of around 60mm.

I know financially it doesn't make sense but doing it anyway!

Seems like a tricky one!

Is it necessary to replace the truss rod? Is it that badly corroded?

Secondly, if my aim was to keep the bass as original as possible, I would look at replacing the truss only. If there’s nobody near you that could do it, you could attempt it yourself if you’re handy with that kind of thing.

Buying a new neck is likely to require some fettling when it comes to attaching it to the body, perhaps light modification such as removing a small portion by sanding from the heel of the neck or the neck pocket of the body, however it should never require a lot of material to be removed.

You’re very unlikely to find a new neck for sale from Encore by itself, but you could buy a donor and take the neck from it.

We can’t choose for you. There are no rules. If you want to stick a Fender neck on it, have at it. If not, there’s at least two other decent options. Swapping the neck itself is not a complicated or difficult job.

edit to add - how do you know the truss rod is rusty if you haven’t had the fretboard off to check?

Edited by MiltyG565

You can pick up Encore basses very cheaply a lot of the time, I would be on the lookout for one, and just have the neck of that, instead of trying to save the current one, assuming that the truss rod is shot.