Why become a member? ×

The Last Dinner Party playing Sparks

As an old guy who enjoyed watching Sparks on TOTP in the 70s (and recently saw them live) I was pleased to hear young, upcoming band The Last Dinner Party doing a strong cover of 'This town ain't big enough' on Jo Whiley's show. It's here on BBC Sounds at about 1:08 if you want a listen. One of their original songs played earlier in the set also sounded like they had been listening to a lot of Sparks, which I mean as a compliment.  It's nice to be down with kids as I approach my 60th birthday!  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001wqts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, squire5 said:

Good to hear that choon again.I remember looking at Ron Mael back in the day and just .....wondering.Quite a complex song but they did a very passable version there.

My synth-pop band covered this back in the 80s. Trying to get the drum machine programmed with the correct bar structure was a challenge. It's a clever song that sounds simple until you need to dissect it at which point you discover that it is most definitely rather complex.

• Like 2

They are one of those groups that seem quite pushed and I don't quite gel with but give credit that least they are doing something different, so I swing between liking them and hating them. I guess, I like their sound but none of their songs have really grabbed me.

When that started I thought 'oh god it is another of those emotionless slowed down songs that there are a lot of', but although it seemed a bit slow her voice actually really did honour the original pretty well, so I was more impressed than I was expecting.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

My synth-pop band covered this back in the 80s. Trying to get the drum machine programmed with the correct bar structure was a challenge. It's a clever song that sounds simple until you need to dissect it at which point you discover that it is most definitely rather complex.

I have never tried playing it but those stabs on the '3 and' beat would take a bit of practice.