Why become a member? ×

Fender Player Mustang Bass Upgrades

Just purchased a Fender Player PJ Mustang Bass which plays extremely well.

However I was wondering about upgrades. Almost every thing. Bridge, Pickups. controls, jack and switch, and machine heads.

Anyone done this or have recommendations, suggestions?

4 hours ago, WishIcouldplay said:

Just purchased a Fender Player PJ Mustang Bass which plays extremely well.

However I was wondering about upgrades. Almost every thing. Bridge, Pickups. controls, jack and switch, and machine heads.

Anyone done this or have recommendations, suggestions?

Honestly I think the P pickup on these basses is great, you can upgrade but imo it is not necessary, the J pickup is worth upgrading, bridge can be upgraded but again I don't think it's necessary.

I think the thing that is worth upgrading is the machine heads as the stock ones are junk and if I still owned a Mustang I would put some Gotoh tuners on it.

With regards to the controls, if you are looking to upgrade them then I would put in a series/parallel switch in place of the pickup selector and swap the volume tone for 2 volumes or stacked volume controls plus a tone control.

16 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Honestly I think the P pickup on these basses is great, you can upgrade but imo it is not necessary, the J pickup is worth upgrading, bridge can be upgraded but again I don't think it's necessary.

I think the thing that is worth upgrading is the machine heads as the stock ones are junk and if I still owned a Mustang I would put some Gotoh tuners on it.

With regards to the controls, if you are looking to upgrade them then I would put in a series/parallel switch in place of the pickup selector and swap the volume tone for 2 volumes or stacked volume controls plus a tone control.

Hi thanks for your suggestions.

Which J pickup would you recommend?

Will the Gotoh tunes drop straight in?

Where would you source the stacked controls and switch etc?

18 minutes ago, WishIcouldplay said:

Hi thanks for your suggestions.

Which J pickup would you recommend?

Will the Gotoh tunes drop straight in?

Where would you source the stacked controls and switch etc?

Not sure if the Gotoh tuners unfortunately, with regards to the J pickup it depends what you are after.

Vintage - Fender pure vintage 62 I think they are called

Aggressive, dark - Dimarzio model j

Aggressive scooped - Seymour Duncan SJB-3

Modern scooped - Dimarzio ultra jazz

I like the ultra jazz personally, nice and crisp sounding

• Like 1

+1 for the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Pup. Powerfull, articulate and clear.(forgot to say that it is humbucking so silent)

Check out the Dimarzio web site as they have some very fine power compareisons and tone charts.

When ordering check the correct dimensions as the neck and bridge Pups are different lengths.

Edited by JohnDaBass
Update

+1 for the hi mass bridge. I find that the saddles on Fender's bbot strip the threads on the height adjustment screws causing bridge collapse. Probably my over aggressive playing. Also the p/u sector switch is a bit dodgy and a lot of folk seem to upgrade this AFAIK (haven't got round to doing that myself yet but would appreciate recommendations).