Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR505/SR506 questions

rjb

I've played these basses in shops many times and have been very impressed for the price. I'm mulling picking one up but have some questions for those who have lived with them for a while:-

1. Does the stained brown finish hold up well? If the finsh did get damaged would the body stand up to being sanded back and oiled?

2. How is the intonation? I've heard that the bridge struggles to get good intonation on the five and six string models.

Cheers-

[quote name='rjb' post='487543' date='May 14 2009, 08:32 AM']I've played these basses in shops many times and have been very impressed for the price. I'm mulling picking one up but have some questions for those who have lived with them for a while:-

1. Does the stained brown finish hold up well? If the finsh did get damaged would the body stand up to being sanded back and oiled?

2. How is the intonation? I've heard that the bridge struggles to get good intonation on the five and six string models.

Cheers-[/quote]

I had an SRX 505 which I sold last year - I had this finish :

which looked great although it was never gigged so I don't know how it would hold up under any kind of punishment.

As for the intonation I have to admit I did struggle a bit with that, although I'm no set-up expert and if I had shelled out some money to get it done properly that could well have been sorted.

If you get one just tell the guy in the shop to set it up

Dudes,,,

Not strictly the axe in question..

My main stage bass for the last 3 yrs has been an SRX705,,,, everyone seems to love it from studio to stage..

I guess the finish may be the same and if so mine has been extremely hard wearing,, not even a scratch,,no buckle rash, dents or anything..it really is as new,,, considering the number of gigs (least 6 a month) an rehearsals once a week think its been brilliant,,

The chrome different matter,,, mine was tarnished from the shop! use seems to quickly banish it tho,,, but affects the bridge and the knobs.. also its very heavy,,,,, well balanced tho,,, but a real heavy bass.

Re the bridge, mine looks the same as the one in the photo an there are two ways to string it ! there are slots in the base of the bridge which can be used ..but as in the photo should be really hooked in the back... never had a problem with it or intonation..to be honest have never been afraid to spend money too get good gear,,,, an really didnt fall in love with the look ,,, but this is the one which earns the money... (IMHO) hope it helps..

(never had a bad ibanez,,, early Musician was great,,, later cheap model the engineers loved,, an this one is the fave of everyone I play with...must be a lincolnshire thing,,, cos guitarists round ere have the same opinion of the brand..)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Proud owner of a 506. Had it since they first came out, the mahogany finished ones from four years ago. It's my main bass once again after a bit of modifying. It's now got a ramp, a 27v Schack circuit, shimmed neck and it's had the frets done professionally. The intonation was a problem until the fret job, that said, I do use hideously low action! Get a Buzz Feiten system on it , that'll help it a bit more as the guitar or bass are compensated instruments.

For the price, these instruments are pretty tough to match. I'd say have a look at some Carvin basses on Ebay, they're usually on the .com site.

You have to be aware that the SR and SRX are different basses. The necks on the SRX range are different, they're more bulkier. Also, the finish on the SRX range is poly as far as I can tell - in the SR505 and 506 they're oiled mahogany which chips easily. The SR505 and 506 have great necks, very thin and comfortable and play very nicely.
Pickup wise, the output on the SRX pickups is high for passives but these basses were designed with the metal player in mind. The SR505 and 506 have active Bartolini pickups installed which will do almost any style. I've heard the SR505 and 506 lack bottom end but I have not really noticed that on the occasions that I've played them.

I have used BTB's constantly for over a year now...different model but still, one of them is natural...no problems as of yet.
Built well... in fact I pulled it appart when I was re-stringing as I wanted to oil the neck but work on cleaning the body as well...even the neck join was properly sanded!
You usually find bits of wood crap there...not with Ibanez.

I'd imagine the SR, which has been going on a lot longer, will stand up to anything.
ALthough it has a much thinner neck that your Warwicks.

Edited by Kongo