Why become a member? ×

Introducing Elwray Basses WN4 - properly.

Marco.EB

Hello folks!

Thanks to those who followed the first steps of finalzing the project. I deleted the video and the content of the first post. Now I can introduce properly the very first (not prototype) Elwray Basses WN4. The Logo is not yet applied for the simple reason I'm still looking for a clean and neat solution (and the Schaller S-locks are on their way)

In a few words, I wanted to build a "back to basics" bass, with no fancy stuff but with the details that matters. That's why I chosed the walnut body with no top, the maple neck, the passive operation (I prefer VTVT this way I can put different caps on each pickup, more smoothness on neck pickup and more growl on bridge one), The B-style bridge (simple, efficient, reliable, quick release), the Res-O-Lite tuners to minimize the neck dive, Graphtech nut because IMHO it's the best, fake pearloid because I prefer the consistancy in the matter and it's not from nature (woods, except from the ebony, are european woods), truss-rod is currently a hex one bevause I couldn't find any Muiscman style in stock nut it'll be with those in the future, stainless steel medium frets from Sintoms because it's the a classic and the size seems the best option to me, body design and overall bass design is made to obtain a lightweight bass ; this very one is 3.4Kg or 7.5lbs and the 23rd fret is really accessible thanks to the fretboard shifted towards the nut (and the shape of the body). I rather use my skills to make a very good "basic" bass instead making fancy colors and tops with exotics woods from dying tropical forests. I really wanted to have dual coils pickups to enjoy the full noiseless experience, and passive shouldn't fail you in the middle of a gig/rehearsal/playing (and doesn't need batteries). I'll made a propre video as soon as I'll have the good gear to film it.

As for the neck shape, to be honest it's done with my feeling, I can't say if it's a C or D profile but it's between a thin Ibanez-like and a old fat Fender style. I'd say medium (I've read somewhere that thin necks are not really good for lot of playing, but I'm not a kine). I played a bit with chrome/black details to a add a bit of 'life" in the hardware instead of the "all black" gear.

So here's the specs of the bass:

Body:

- two bookmatched pieces of walnut

- no top but available on demand

- hand carved body shape on the back

Neck:

- bolt-on neck (5 bolts with flus mounted chrome ferrules)

- flamed maple with walnut inserts (4mm) 

- ebony fretboard (rounded edges)

- dual action truss-rod at the heel with 4mm hex key covered by a matched piece of walnut

- 40mm nut width, Graphtech Black Tusq XL

- Sintoms stainless steel medium frets with rolled edges

- 34" scale

- radius 16"

- fake pearloid side dots (2mm) and round fretboards markers (6mm)

- angled headstock with flamed maple top, tuners layout 2 + 2 (angled)

Electronics:

- Bartolini M34C dual coils humbuckers (EMG35 enclosure) - those are "Original Bartolini" (I'm stll open to use Seymour Duncan SSB4 pickups)

- passive operation VVT (on this version but mainly VTVT), blackwood knobs

- 500K ohms pots with 0.047uF cap

- Switchcraft chrome stereo barrel jack

Hadrware:

- Hipshot B-Style 5B400BB (Black Brass version), flush mounted

- Gotoh GB350 Res-O-lite tuners black

- black screws / chrome screws

- Schaller security S-locks black

And here's the pictures of the final bass (without logo and straplock buttons) :

WN4_002.thumb.jpg.d5c9ed8431f78f269b9d1c4c34f34c0c.jpg

WN4_001.thumb.jpg.0b193ed6fc5b3fef42cc0819a5bf877a.jpg

WN4_004.thumb.jpg.bf3ffe810b5848b6824ea3dd00f6f8b2.jpg

WN4_005.thumb.jpg.45ee57cd67c42c7cdadf98894cf30735.jpg

WN4_006.thumb.jpg.4fa3dab6543b43c361c5df0831210695.jpg

WN4_003.thumb.jpg.0ef549ce91d8d2e4d9f37f92e5bbf1af.jpg

WN4_007.thumb.jpg.e8ea1f082910bda7bcc7831b3a2efc3f.jpg

WN4_008.thumb.jpg.ac23bffa4589d75afab8f73b827d8ef7.jpg

WN4_009.thumb.jpg.92e0c05294573522d287029cbd4396ca.jpg

WN4_010.thumb.jpg.df419854d1301986889ef66258f0af9b.jpg

Here's the video

Edited by Marco.EB
  • Like 6

Update: I'm torn between EMG and SD, but so far my preference goes to the EMG for several reasons. After discussing with Doug from Bartolini, I'll try the M43C (dual coil original bass) in the next one and if it's not THE pickup, I'll stick with EMG. They have a wide range and a nice P sound and bridge sound as well.

I'm waiting wood for the next one and the final configuration will unveil itself.

9 hours ago, tobiewharton said:

Really liking the look of it Marco!

Thanks! I'm waiting the wood to make the 3rd "proto", exactly the same configuration but with Bartolini pickups.

I know that the look could be a bit "standard" for some people but I choose to make a design I like and at the same time something quite.. classic.

From there I'll choose between the 3 pickups sets to make a proper introduction to a definitive version. 

Edited by Marco.EB

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello hello people

Didn't want to make too many updates for nothing... So now I am at 4 basses finished (or almost) including 2 as I consider good for sale.

Not really the question to sale or not to sale now but I'm more into a pickup contest... I can't decide between 3, or, more accurately, 2 sets of pickups. I've made a video (not including the fretless who is made with Jazz Bartolini 9J1) for you to help me. After many trying (I just received the Bartolini's today so I need a bit of recoil) I tend to exclude the EMG set ; it is good but for my tastes, too 'expected' sound... I'd rather go for a sound with more growling mediums. So far I still prefer the SSB for fingering, they have that smooth but 'in the face' sound. But the Bart's (coming right from USA) have some lovely, lovely clear highs and some crisp details in it. I recorded a very mediocre video with the Adam Nitti as a "reference" and just playing all open or bridge tone off (my most used configurations), sorry for P lovers.

I'd like you to give your opinion on this, if you have 5 minutes.

Here's the beasts on the wall:

20240322_181412.thumb.jpg.d5fb7729f34155aa631f857c4815d338.jpg

The fretless is just a beautiful monster with a flamed maple / ash body and Ziricote fingerboard with fretlines. (black tuners are coming)

Here's the vid;

https://youtu.be/BQT2Eme2dIM

Thanks !!

You can also go to youtube and like the comment related to the pickup you enjoyed the most.

Edited by Marco.EB
  • Like 2

• Marco.EB changed the title to Introducing Elwray Basses WN4 - properly.
  • 2 weeks later...

Update : I've created a website, sorry so far it's french only but compatible with Google Translate ; www.elwraybasses.com

And both last models fretted and fretless have already been sold.

So I have to make a new batch (still processing the costs) of 4 basses; 2 in four and 2 in five strings. 

I'm currently looking for a machine (I found it but in USA) for radiusing fretboards, with a sanding belt, not with the router tool, with new templates and custom orders to Bartolini it may costs some $$. I'm still into a passaround but as I asked in my Nitti's sale post, I'm wondering what is  happening for a donation, poassaround, well anything which is "free" and pass through the border?

• Like 3

On 22/03/2024 at 22:52, Marco.EB said:

Hello hello people

Didn't want to make too many updates for nothing... So now I am at 4 basses finished (or almost) including 2 as I consider good for sale.

Not really the question to sale or not to sale now but I'm more into a pickup contest... I can't decide between 3, or, more accurately, 2 sets of pickups. I've made a video (not including the fretless who is made with Jazz Bartolini 9J1) for you to help me. After many trying (I just received the Bartolini's today so I need a bit of recoil) I tend to exclude the EMG set ; it is good but for my tastes, too 'expected' sound... I'd rather go for a sound with more growling mediums. So far I still prefer the SSB for fingering, they have that smooth but 'in the face' sound. But the Bart's (coming right from USA) have some lovely, lovely clear highs and some crisp details in it. I recorded a very mediocre video with the Adam Nitti as a "reference" and just playing all open or bridge tone off (my most used configurations), sorry for P lovers.

I'd like you to give your opinion on this, if you have 5 minutes.

Here's the beasts on the wall:

20240322_181412.thumb.jpg.d5fb7729f34155aa631f857c4815d338.jpg

The fretless is just a beautiful monster with a flamed maple / ash body and Ziricote fingerboard with fretlines. (black tuners are coming)

Here's the vid;

https://youtu.be/BQT2Eme2dIM

Thanks !!

You can also go to youtube and like the comment related to the pickup you enjoyed the most.

Tried to watch this video Marco using the above link, but it comes up as 'private', any ideas how I can view please 🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 09/04/2024 at 15:46, BassTool said:

Tried to watch this video Marco using the above link, but it comes up as 'private', any ideas how I can view please 🤔

Thanks mate but it has been updated... I chose the Bartolini between the 3 pickups. As for the fretless, it's almost finished, I just need a decent player to make a good demo or I'll do it myself ASAP.

Meanwhile I thought I deleted it but no : https://youtu.be/cyG8TqB2hy8?si=bVhqellN9Y48scKQ

But it has 9J1 (original dual coils) in the end not 9CBJS1 (singles classic barts) but it's pretty close.

Edited by Marco.EB
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Marco.EB said:

Thanks mate but it has been updated... I chose the Bartolini between the 3 pickups. As for the fretless, it's almost finished, I just need a decent player to make a good demo or I'll do it myself ASAP.

Meanwhile I thought I deleted it but no : https://youtu.be/cyG8TqB2hy8?si=bVhqellN9Y48scKQ

But it has 9J1 (original dual coils) in the end not 9CBJS1 (singles classic barts) but it's pretty close.

That sounds great! 👌🏼

• Thanks 1