Why become a member? ×

What's Going On Here - Squier Mustang Pickup.

Rumple

I picked up a pearloid scratchplate for my Squier Classic Vibe Mustang and whilst fitting it this afternoon I found this mess under the pickup! Silicone sealer holding what appears to be a magnet or plate and some bolts for the mounting screws, I can't seem to find a picture of the underside o f the standard pickup but I'm pretty sure the bolts and plate are additions? I'm not too fussed as the bass sounds very good indeed, I just re-soldered a couple of bits and put it back together for now.

image.thumb.png.22fb7cc155e312f19dc5670943a154b8.png

Dunno what they should look like, but looks like they fit, or have been modded to fit ala Strat - Secured on the underside of the pick guard, with 2 screws thru for hight adjust, rather than screwed to the body ala P or J.

Maybe the silicone and plate was to try and hold the windings in the covers, rather than foam under

Must admit i was surprised when i realised that P pups were not fitted like a Strat, as that is what i came across first.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

In my experience the Squier CV Mustangs often have pickguards in which the holes cut for the pickups are a very tight fit on the pickups so the pickups don't readily move when you try adjust the pickup height(s) and the plastic/formar of the pickup is easily stripped by the fine thread machine screws so they no longer adjust the springs under the pickguard exert more force than the thread can hold; in your case a previous owner has maybe experienced this and had them strip and then fitted probably M3 nuts to the pickup so that the pickup height can easily be adjusted, and may have slightly filed the original pickguard so the pickup cover didn't stick in the aperture - the exceedingly tight fit also gave rise to slightly microphonic pickups in some instances. The springs can be replaced with surgical rubber tube

• Thanks 1