Why become a member? ×

EBS multicomp mains hum

project_c

I have an EBS multicomp which I love and use regularly, the problem is if it's powered by an adaptor, the hum coming from it renders it pretty useless in a live setting. it's fine with a battery, so i'm not sure why this is happening, any ideas?

[quote name='project_c' post='487197' date='May 13 2009, 07:52 PM']I have an EBS multicomp which I love and use regularly, the problem is if it's powered by an adaptor, the hum coming from it renders it pretty useless in a live setting. it's fine with a battery, so i'm not sure why this is happening, any ideas?[/quote]

You might find its the power supply causing the hum... I tried using a Maplins power supply when I first started with pedals and got the same problem. I bought a Gator pedal board with Gator Bus power supply and all my hums buggered orf.

[quote name='project_c' post='487416' date='May 13 2009, 10:56 PM']cheers, thats exactly what i suspected. given that i have no need for a pedal board as the multi comp is the only effect i use, can you suggest a power supply that would eliminate the problem?[/quote]

I'm no expert here but as you only use the one pedal I would have thought a set of rechargeable 9v batteries and a charger would be the most cost effective solution and I've seen them at maplins too :)

[quote name='Monz' post='487424' date='May 13 2009, 11:12 PM']I'm no expert here but as you only use the one pedal I would have thought a set of rechargeable 9v batteries and a charger would be the most cost effective solution and I've seen them at maplins too :)[/quote]

+1.

Or get a nice tuner to go with that nice MultiComp and maybe even a DI, and suddenly you'll be thinking about a pedaltrain mini...

[quote name='project_c' post='487416' date='May 13 2009, 10:56 PM']cheers, thats exactly what i suspected. given that i have no need for a pedal board as the multi comp is the only effect i use, can you suggest a power supply that would eliminate the problem?[/quote]

Look for an adaptor that can supply more current than the pedal requires.. Lets face it, that should be too hard to find, as most Adaptors start at about 300mA anyway, which is more than enough. Obviously 9v. AND the bit which will certainly cut down on mains hum. Get a 'regulated' power supply, not a 'unregulated' one. The 'regulating' components (to over simplify) *should* cut down the chances of mains hum and noise getting through to the pedal. Better still, if you have enough pennies in your pocket, look out for the 'Switch Mode Power Supply' versions. They are usually physically smaller, lighter and can handle higher currents vs a 'normal' transformer (for want of a better description) PSU. - They have a far higher mains hum rejection. - Tey are likely to be more expensive though.

Interestingly, I found a really old Compaq laptop PSU that I use for my pedals.. It really is tiny in size and can handle driving about 5 pedals (if not more!) at 10v - Really handy find, for a freebie!

I [sometimes] use a [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12&zenid=a4c2912268abfc4033fac665bc0bb0f6"]johnnyshredfreak[/url] Diago-a-like & it's fine with me MultiComp.

Dave Hall says - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=49055&view=findpost&p=489712"]The issue is ... regulation, poor regulation and it will hum.[/url]

[quote name='johnnylager' post='493327' date='May 20 2009, 03:05 PM']I [sometimes] use a [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12&zenid=a4c2912268abfc4033fac665bc0bb0f6"]johnnyshredfreak[/url] Diago-a-like & it's fine with me MultiComp.

Dave Hall says - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=49055&view=findpost&p=489712"]The issue is ... regulation, poor regulation and it will hum.[/url][/quote]

The Johnny Shread Freak PSU is great. Despite what people say, it IS the same as the Diago PSU at a fraction of the cost. It's actually designed to be a laptop PSU but it works exceptionally well for pedals.