Why become a member? ×

WEM Rapier restoration

Dread Bass

I wanted to post to gauge interest in a project I will be starting soon. I have a few projects on the go so the progress is likely to be slow. I also don’t have the bass in my hands yet. I was thinking about doing a YouTube video or Instagram series about it but I have enjoyed reading lots of projects on Basschat so thought a build diary could be interesting. 

I have successfully bid on a WEM Rapier bass via an auction. I don’t have the bass yet but thought I would document my reasons for buying and my plans for restoration. 

As you can see here I have bought a 1967ish Rapier bass. From the reading I have done I think it was made around 1967 but dating Watkins instruments seems quite complex. My understanding is that they had been re branded as Wilson by 1968 and the bridge design changed also. 

I went for this as I think it’s a really cool design. I love these old British made basses and think they are under rated compared to the American counterparts. I really like the colour and the aged finish.  I really want to try a short scale and I am intrigued about the bridge mute. I also think it doesn’t look like it needs too much work. Most of the original parts appear to be included with the exception of the truss rod cover. It wasn’t too expensive and I am hoping that if I can get it restored and I don’t love it I can move it on without financial loss. 

The pictures from the auction indicate several issues. To start with there appears to be a string alignment issue. There could be several causes for this. Firstly it’s strung as a righty and the nut is broken. The neck might also have shifted in the pocket. Worst case scenario is that the bridge is out of alignment. I won’t know until I have it in my hands. 

In the photo of the headstock you can see it needs a new nut and there is gaffer tape over the zero fret so not sure what difficulties are under there. There is also a crack in the front of the headstock which I suspect is only in the finish. The reading I have done would indicate that finish cracking is not unusual. Which brings me to the back of the neck where there is extensive cracking. Again my suspicion is that it’s the finish not the wood but will have to wait and see. I suspect a refinish of the neck is in order. 

There is more cracking evident on the side of the neck and the action looks very high. I wonder it the neck is bolted on properly as it looks like there may be a gap at the front of the neck pocket. At the very least it’s going to need a significant set up and full fretwork. 

Now there is a lot of stuff I don’t know which could change the trajectory significantly. For example of the truss rod is out of commission or the pickups are kaput. 

Have i bought an old gem or something beyond repair. Only time will tell. If anyone has any experience with these I would be interested to hear it. I read a really great restoration on talk bass that was very detailed. 

688AD4B2-1F41-4514-894D-D9A1EF94637A.png

B3DCD651-D357-471A-9F89-46C12F4A5334.png

444A99F5-BECF-455D-B5A1-2FC0F8F58281.png

B239C7C0-C6EF-40C6-80A8-4676250153E6.png

CD37CC24-54DC-49CB-B62C-AF3B2E988DFB.png

76117E9F-3B7A-4687-A231-0C474EEF6007.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

That is a very cool looking bass.

Hopefully it's all electrically OK and you can do a sympathetic restoration.  I'm really interested in how this turn out.

Thanks Richard

Yeah the plan is to not mess with it too much. I want to keep the original finish on the body as I think it looks great but I fear the neck finish will need to come off. 

Nut blank and strings are ordered so when it arrives I will try and get it playable and see where we go from there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...