Why become a member? ×

NBD - Godin Classic Shifter 4 RW

dmccombe7

Just bought @theplumber Godin Classic Shifter 4 tonight. One of two he owns. I was offered the black burst with rosewood neck version. The other had the creme brulee finish with maple neck and that actually felt better to play but not much in it. Both are pretty impressive tho.

Known Stevie for a good few yrs now as i took over his duties on bass when he left the punk covers band Emergency Exit.

He even delivered the bass to the house for me but i reckon he just wanted to play with the toys in the bass cave.

Bass is in perfect condition as i would expect from Stevie. It just needs a little tweak of the P pick up height to balance the volumes across the P and J pick ups and its good to go. I'll fit a new set of Elixir nickels ASAP and ready to gig.

Neck on these basses is pretty impressive and i'd compare to the Sandberg MarloweDK that i have. Very Jazz neck feel to it. No rough fret edges and no fret buzz at all even with quite a decent low action already set up

Tones are quite different from the 4-position selector switch and the tone knob has quite a wide change to it. (1. bridge, 2. both series, 3. both parallel, 4. neck )

Controls and tuners all feel pretty good quality and sturdy with smooth actions all round.

Got a rehearsal on Sunday with Glam band which will give it a good trial run pre-gigging. It will either be a back up to my Sandberg VM4 or possibly a main bass in the Glam band as its passive there's no batteries to worry about.

All in all a good day.

Dave

image.thumb.png.71245415604229c011e9b4e4146915f3.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just bought @theplumber Godin Classic Shifter 4 tonight. One of two he owns. I was offered the black burst with rosewood neck version. The other had the creme brulee finish with maple neck and that actually felt better to play but not much in it. Both are pretty impressive tho.

Known Stevie for a good few yrs now as i took over his duties on bass when he left the punk covers band Emergency Exit.

He even delivered the bass to the house for me but i reckon he just wanted to play with the toys in the bass cave.

Bass is in perfect condition as i would expect from Stevie. It just needs a little tweak of the P pick up height to balance the volumes across the P and J pick ups and its good to go. I'll fit a new set of Elixir nickels ASAP and ready to gig.

Neck on these basses is pretty impressive and i'd compare to the Sandberg MarloweDK that i have. Very Jazz neck feel to it. No rough fret edges and no fret buzz at all even with quite a decent low action already set up

Tones are quite different from the 4-position selector switch and the tone knob has quite a wide change to it. (1. bridge, 2. both series, 3. both parallel, 4. neck )

Controls and tuners all feel pretty good quality and sturdy with smooth actions all round.

Got a rehearsal on Sunday with Glam band which will give it a good trial run pre-gigging. It will either be a back up to my Sandberg VM4 or possibly a main bass in the Glam band as its passive there's no batteries to worry about.

All in all a good day.

Dave

I demand the finest bass Po rn available to humanity, dammit!

what a piece of work is a man! How very noble … etc. </withnallRant>

so supply pictures or I’ll send some people to guitar lessons 🤢

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

*cough* Pics! *cough*

Sorry about that my battery was dying on me and i forgot to add the pic at last minute. I've put a stock pic on the original post as the one i bought is in perfect condition with no marks or dings that i can see.

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I demand the finest bass Po rn available to humanity, dammit!

what a piece of work is a man! How very noble … etc. </withnallRant>

so supply pictures or I’ll send some people to guitar lessons 🤢

Sorry my laptop battery died a death at last minute but a pic has been added now along with an apology for my selfish behaviour. :hi:

Dave

• Thanks 1

Just a wee update on the Godin. Used it at our 6hr rehearsal today.

Godin bass into my own Ampeg SVT7 and into the studios Ampeg 810 cab.

Have to say it plays so well and it feels great to play even for longer periods. Bit heavier than my Sandberg VM4 but not by much.

Deep sounding and suited the songs better than the VM4.

Only failing was that it doesn't cut thru the mix like my VM4 in certain songs.

That said the amp settings were the exact same as i use for my VM4. For the last hour i boosted the mids on the amp quite a bit and it cut thru far better.

Overall i'm very pleased with this bass. Not sure if it will take over from my VM4 as my main bass in the Glam band but i'll give it a try at the next gig using my own Mesa Subway 210/115 cabs.

Neck is so so nice on these Godin Shifter basses. Very like a slim jazz.

Pick up selector meant i could get a traditional P bass tone and a nice PJ setting without any volume changes.

I did set up the bass during the week when fitting new Elixir nickels. Elixirs didn't fit when strung thru with the E string as winding reduction started just before the nut so its strung like all of my other basses as standard on the bridge. String height is down at 2.25mm with absolutely no fret buzz. Very slight neck relief too, almost straight. Had to drop the P pick up a bit as strings were touching poles on occasion and raised the J pick up a touch to get a better balance across the pick up selector switch. 

It has a very slight neck dive compared to VM4 but its very slight and didn't really present any issues for me when playing it.

All in all its been a great purchase and highly recommend them. Very few basses will match build quality for the money they were sold as new.

Dave

• Like 2