Why become a member? ×

Moog Sound Patches download - Help sought!

Risk101

Hi folks,

I want to download some sound patches for my Moog Little Phatty, having never done that before, and wondered if anyone could recommend any free Midi software - which I believe I need in order to download said patches.

These are said patches from a well respected provider: https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/moog/little-slim-phatty/moog-little-slim-phatty-funky-leads-basses-detail

Any help gratefully received !

David

Do you have a DAW?

MIDI files will load onto a suitable track in your DAW and then transmit the system exclusive patch data to your synth. You may need to adjust the playback speed to get a reliable transfer.

If you don't have a DAW there are detailed instructions in the "How To Load Instruction" link on the page you linked to.

Be aware as it doesn't seem to be mentioned on the page, but loading these sounds will over-write what you already have on your synth so if you want to keep any of them you'll need to make a backup first. Ultimately you might be better off with a MIDI librarian application. What OS are you using?

• Like 2

Thanks that’s v helpful. No I don’t have a DAW sadly.

Yes I wasn’t sure from the instruction sheet whether it could be as simple as just plugging the USB cable from the Phatty to the PC (running the humble Windows 10!).

Not bothered about the weird assortment of Moog patches as it’s for bass use but thanks for the warning!

From what I remember when I  had problems with my moog minitaur, I downloaded ' sysex' . You may be able to get that from Moog music.com  . Sysex is what you need . Keep usb lead connected  from your moog to your computer. 
Once you have downloaded sysex, there should be a " play " type button on it which you click ...that should load up your sounds .🤞

It may be worth checking the downloads  section on the moog website anyway for the phatty  , if you haven't done so .

keep us posted 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ray - yes I saw that although don’t need Moog software downloaded. Couldn’t see Sysex on their website but have raised a tech query with them.

Meanwhile I might just try the download without a DAW !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

Thanks Ray - yes I saw that although don’t need Moog software downloaded. Couldn’t see Sysex on their website but have raised a tech query with them.

Yes! Download without the DAW . You don't need a DAW to get the patches .  I think"  sysex librarian " is the download you need .

There is a moog forum also , which may have info on there . The only thng with moog , is iyou may not get an answer to your issue quickly if at all .  Very unpredictable these days . Contacting them in the  later part of evening uk time , may be quicker.  Sometms you may be able to do live chat with them then ..

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

13 minutes ago, Risk101 said:

Yes! Download without the DAW . You don't need a DAW to get the patches .  I think"  sysex librarian " is the download you need .

There is a moog forum also , which may have info on there . The only thng with moog , is iyou may not get an answer to your issue quickly if at all .  Very unpredictable these days . Contacting them in the  later part of evening uk time , may be quicker.  Sometms you may be able to do live chat with them then ..

just googled 'sysex librarian moog download " .  Sweetwiter among others have an answer to your question . This is the any to go 

Yep so definitely needs something more than just the USB cable 🤣 There is a link on the Sweetwiter site to "Midioxse" https://www.sweetwiter.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-send-and-receive-sysex-on-pc-or-mac/ as part of this article which looked promising, but my PC/McAfee says the site is not secure, so I'm a bit dubious about running the Exe file !!

All a bit frustrating as I'm not an IT numptee but then neither am I an IT wizard - hang on a minute my son in law is an IT Manager for a big company - I will ask him !!

For now, I'm putting the Moog back on the shelf for toinght (the USB cable does reach the PC with it in its place!!), although I'm chuffed that I sorted out a pitch-wheel malfunction using the system utilities menu - all working fine now !

Hi, I also have a little phatty which I mainly use for bass. Not sure how to upload new patches either. 
However, if you check Matt Johnson and also Csmcrckrs you tube, they both have vids with bass patches for minimoog which work really well. Also check Moog forum too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Risk101 said:

Yep so definitely needs something more than just the USB cable 🤣 There is a link on the Sweetwiter site to "Midioxse" https://www.sweetwiter.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-send-and-receive-sysex-on-pc-or-mac/ as part of this article which looked promising, but my PC/McAfee says the site is not secure, so I'm a bit dubious about running the Exe file !!

All a bit frustrating as I'm not an IT numptee but then neither am I an IT wizard - hang on a minute my son in law is an IT Manager for a big company - I will ask him !!

For now, I'm putting the Moog back on the shelf for toinght (the USB cable does reach the PC with it in its place!!), although I'm chuffed that I sorted out a pitch-wheel malfunction using the system utilities menu - all working fine now !

I have also got the 'not secure ' message when downloading  music instrument files . I use Mac osx. Anyway, if you proceeded, you woukd have got the file you need. Let us know when you get sorted . 

• Thanks 1

Ooh thanks very much. I might give that a try. At the moment I’m stuck at Midi-Ox saying “no devices connected”!

ordered a new USB lead in case that’s the issue…..

Edited by Risk101

1 hour ago, Risk101 said:

Ooh thanks very much. I might give that a try. At the moment I’m stuck at Midi-Ox saying “no devices connected”!

ordered a new USB lead in case that’s the issue…..

Do you use the 5 pin midi at all ? Have you got a midi keyboard you could connect to the moog ?