Why become a member? ×

Boss DS-1 bass mod?

uk_lefty

Has anyone here modified a boss DS-1 to let more bass through? Is it worth doing? How tricky is it? There's loads of resources on the internet but instead of trusting just anything I'd rather trust advice on BC! 

11 hours ago, nige1968 said:

Have you considered splitting the signal and running clean and dirty in parallel?

I can sort of do that with my preamp pedal but it kind of gives me too weak a version of each. I'd prefer if the DS-1 didn't pull so much of the bottom end and the punch out of the sound but kept the distortion. 

Many years ago I bought a DS-1 from a maker called Penny Pedals, this is the mod I think:

C1 - .1uF
C2 - 1.0 uF non-polar metal film (NP MF)
C3 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C4 - .022uF
C5 - .1 uF
C7 - .00022uF (22pF) ceramic disc
C8 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C9 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C11 - .1 uF
C12 - .1 uF (no need to change really, same value higher quality cap)
C13 - .1 uF
C14 - 1.0 uF NP MF (again, just a quality upgrade sounds the same here)

Wire in a switch to lift the clipping diodes (D4 & D5) out of the circuit.

The modded values give generally better bass response and the diode lift completely transforms the sound of the pedal, giving a lot of gain and bass. 

As a recommendation, I have bought and sold many many many pedals in the years since, but this one has never left my board.

• Like 4

On 10/02/2024 at 09:17, Rob Bisby said:

Someone's not gunna like what I say.. but get an EQ pedal and boost lost lows 

Which isn’t going to do the same thing as allowing more bass through a circuit by changing the caps. 

• Like 2

If you mod it to let more bass through, you're going to lose a lot of the character that makes a DS1 sound like a DS1. I used to run two signals, one to a guitar head and the other to a bass head, with the DS1 set to be as gritty and nasty as possible. Your best bet for a tone that keeps that character is using an LS2 or something similar to blend a clean signal with it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Which isn’t going to do the same thing as allowing more bass through a circuit by changing the caps. 

True, but putting an eq pedal after a boss ds1 or boosting lows on ya amp will bring lows back, plus ya still have the character of a ds1

I have a GEB-7 and an LS-2 for use with dirt pedals. My experience is that I tend to use the LS-2 more because in live setting the issue is rarely bass loss alone, it's more about bass punch and a concurrent clean signal provides that better than a boosted dirt noise. I also prefer the action of engaging a Boss in a gig, rather than a 3PDT, it's more idiot proof.

I also have modded pedals (DS-1, ODB-3, OD-3), the fun with these is mostly in the process of modding. The standard DS-1 mod I would still run through a LS2, however the diode lift is a completely different beast, it's an awesome sound (not a DS-1 sound) and so works well as a standalone pedal. Horses for courses etc. 

Using a guitar pedal and LS-2 is great, but it is more about adding a distorted flavour to the higher frequencies of your tone, a modded pedal is more transformative to the overall tone, it depends on what you want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alfie said:

I have a GEB-7 and an LS-2 for use with dirt pedals. My experience is that I tend to use the LS-2 more because in live setting the issue is rarely bass loss alone, it's more about bass punch and a concurrent clean signal provides that better than a boosted dirt noise. I also prefer the action of engaging a Boss in a gig, rather than a 3PDT, it's more idiot proof.

I also have modded pedals (DS-1, ODB-3, OD-3), the fun with these is mostly in the process of modding. The standard DS-1 mod I would still run through a LS2, however the diode lift is a completely different beast, it's an awesome sound (not a DS-1 sound) and so works well as a standalone pedal. Horses for courses etc. 

Using a guitar pedal and LS-2 is great, but it is more about adding a distorted flavour to the higher frequencies of your tone, a modded pedal is more transformative to the overall tone, it depends on what you want.

That's why I prefer guitar pedals, slot more of them and can get good ones cheaper