Why become a member? ×

Peavey Max 450 Head

bassman50

PEAVEY MAX 450 BASS HEAD

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this Amp when running at 2ohms

I have had a new 450 Max just under 12 months when it has started to cut out
(Thermal Shut down apparently) the amp generally works the day after having reset itself

Next time i used it it blew completely!!!

BAck to Peavey for repairs then 1st time I used it after return it blew 15 seconds into the set (Thermal Shutdown again - not completely blown)

oh dear - is this a 'Friday afternoon' ampa??

its gone back to Peavey again for checking, unfortunately it works at the moment so that may be tricky

Oh yes whats my speaker set up I hear you ask

2x10 Peavey 4 ohm
1x15 Peavey 4 ohm

combining in series to 2 ohm load

I havent tried the amp on a gig with either speaker on their own.

Someone suggested that my speakers may be faulty but I have meter checked all the connections and resistances of the speakers, I also have continued to use my Mk6 Peavey Head at 2ohm in the meantime and it hasnt blown up yet

Any ideas?? it might help if I knew that other bassist had similar problems, otherwise I feel a completely new rig might be the only answer

I bought the Max450 as a back up for the Mk 6 because I know no-one makes 2ohm amps any more (maybe Im beginning to find out why??

cheers

ive been using mine at 2ohms for about twelve months.sometimes three nights a week and never had a problem with it.but im using marshall cabs.our set is normaly two one hours sets with a five min break between

Edited by bobbytodd

I've had the Max 450 and I've currently got the Max 700. I've always run them at 2 ohms, and never had a problem. They've never shut down unexpectedly. The 450 once fell out of a moving car; took it to rehearsal, plugged it in... perfect. Sturdy and reliable. Sounds like you've got a duffer. :)

If it's getting too hot and is indeed thermal shutdowm, how'd you feel about making some holes and putting in a 120mm pc fan? They run at 5 or 12v and it should be relatively easy to fit them.

Seems to be looking at the manual that there's no fan on that amp, but if there is one, tried cleaning it?

[quote name='Buzz' post='488133' date='May 14 2009, 06:20 PM']If it's getting too hot and is indeed thermal shutdowm, how'd you feel about making some holes and putting in a 120mm pc fan? They run at 5 or 12v and it should be relatively easy to fit them.

Seems to be looking at the manual that there's no fan on that amp, but if there is one, tried cleaning it?[/quote]

no it doesnt seem to have a fan, unlike the Mk6
I must admit I'll probably be looking for a new amp
once something like this happens you never know when it might happen again