Why become a member? ×

marshall 2 x 15

TGEvans

Just bought this off Mr Mark! Top bloke indeed,its not just because he is Welsh either. Have been hearing rumours that these cabs can be fitted with two 500 watt speakers taking it too 4ohm, able to push a thousand watts! Does anybody else know anything about this????? It has 2 celestion sidewinders at the moment, its rated at 500 watts at 8 ohm. Any info would be cool, Tim.

The watts don't really matter, you don't hear them - they only go on. What comes out is dB SPL (which can be measured in acoustic watts but that's just depressing...)

If it farts out with big bottom then maybe different speakers will help but to be honest a 2x15" is so damned efficient that's pretty unlikely.

Alex

A good 2x15" at full blast might produce about 130dB SPL @ 1m which is roughly 10 acoustic watts. A decent band with good dynamics might run between 100 and 120dB at the audience, which is between 0.1 and 1W.

We often see cabs quoted as 500W power output, 1000W power etc. 1000 acoustic watts would be 150dB. That's loud enough to make Motorhead sound like a coffeeshop duo.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='486268' date='May 12 2009, 07:20 PM']A good 2x15" at full blast might produce about 130dB SPL @ 1m which is roughly 10 acoustic watts. A decent band with good dynamics might run between 100 and 120dB at the audience, which is between 0.1 and 1W.[/quote]
Just to amplify that, the magnetoelectrical performance of a loudspeaker driver is often characterized by the force factor B1, in units of tesla-meters. However, the parameter B1-Rc, in units of newtons per -watts, which can be described as a force conversion Fme, allows more meaningful comparisons of magnetoelectrical structures, while a second force conversion factor Fam, with units of -watts per newton, similarly allows comparison between the acoustomechanical characteristics of different cones. The efficiency (ratio of acoustic watts out to electrical watts in) of the driver is derived by multiplying these two force conversion factors together and squaring their product.

Back to you, Alex.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='TGEvans' post='486302' date='May 12 2009, 08:09 PM']Thanks, I think........ Seriosly though I think it should be fine.[/quote]
I think you're right. As Alex said, it should be loud enough for just about anything.

[quote name='stevie' post='486298' date='May 12 2009, 08:04 PM']Just to amplify that, [i]the magnetoelectrical performance of a loudspeaker driver is often characterized by the force factor B1, in units of tesla-meters. However, the parameter B1-Rc, in units of newtons per -watts, which can be described as a force conversion Fme, allows more meaningful comparisons of magnetoelectrical structures, while a second force conversion factor Fam, with units of -watts per newton, similarly allows comparison between the acoustomechanical characteristics of different cones. The efficiency (ratio of acoustic watts out to electrical watts in) of the driver is derived by multiplying these two force conversion factors together and squaring their product.[/i]
Back to you, Alex.[/quote]

Written by Neville Thiele, 1993 in the Audio Engineering Society publication. Nicely quoted. :)

[quote name='dood' post='486313' date='May 12 2009, 08:16 PM']Written by Neville Thiele, 1993 in the Audio Engineering Society publication. Nicely quoted. :)[/quote]
Thanks. Neville deserves to be quoted more, don't you agree? Good googling, by the way. :rolleyes:

[quote name='stevie' post='486320' date='May 12 2009, 08:25 PM']Thanks. Neville deserves to be [i]quoted[/i] more, don't you agree? Good googling, by the way. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes, yes he should. - I did google.. but then, I didn't pretend to understand what Neville had written :lol: "Back to you"...

It's ok, I'm only playin' with ya.. just tickled me. :)

Those celestion sidewinders were really efficient drivers - I might have some specs about from a International Musician review if I dig out my old collection, but you'll probably find they're louder at 500w than a more typical 15" is at 1000w